Heater blowing cool air and concerns about replacing it...help please

Old 02-04-13, 07:33 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heater blowing cool air and concerns about replacing it...help please

Hi, I've got this "Comfort maker" heater. My house is 3 stories tall.. there is the basement, then there is the main level, and then the top floor is one large apartment-room which has a separate heater/air conditioner from the rest of the house. My concern is about the heater on the top floor, which is where I live.

My concerns about a failing unit are great. When my air conditioner was replaced this summer, the HVAC guy remarked that something about the heater was "out of code" and that replacing it would likely cost well over $10,000 (this was 3rd party info to me, but I was thinking "WTF?!"). I have yet to determine if he is setting up a scam or what.

Anyway, I hope nothing is really wrong with my heater, but I think that it is quite old...at least 10 years. I live in Alabama, so it's not extremely cold, but when it comes on at night, I've noticed that it blows only cool air for what seems like is too long before it starts to warm up. This makes me nervous, because that's exactly what happened when my a/c started to go out last year (took forever to start blowing cold). I should point out that, at this point, it is still keeping me warm (it went down to 30 last night, and it was fine when I woke up). However, my concern is about the beginning of something going wrong, a clogged pipe somewhere, etc (sorry, as you can tell, I am very unknowledgeable about hvac issues)

Finally, when I was messing around in the closet, I noticed the pipe (duct) that comes out of the top of the heater is way too hot to touch, all the way up to where it meets the next, larger duct. I've attached some pics of the setup to help you help me.

So, please help..

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  32.1 KBName:  018.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  32.9 KBName:  019.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  43.8 KBName:  010.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  28.9 KBName:  017.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  34.7 KB

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-13, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Yes.....that exhaust coming from the top of your furnace should be hot.
Should it be T'ed into that flue going up thru the ceiling......absolutely NOT.
I sure hope at the very least that the flue going up thru your ceiling is double insulated.

By "out of code" your HVAC guy may have been referring to the flue issue since you cant have two furnaces on the same metal flue

Old 02-04-13, 02:54 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can have 2 furnaces on one flue of that type. No, it is not correctly tied to the B-vent. B-vent (double wall) requires 1" gap to combustibles where as single wall vent requires 6" to combustibles.

To you problem of cool air blowing before it starts to warm up.... Does the fan (blower) start immediately with a call for heat?

Old 02-05-13, 01:37 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The furnace is 50,000 btu's ...how are you warming up that large flue you're connected to? It might be easier to just vent that furnace separately with a four inch dedicated b-vent going out the roof. The other concern over time is condensing flue gases in the main chimney since it may be over-sized.

They make special fittings for common venting furnaces. They also have a sizing chart to make the chimney diameter selection. You can go online to the manufacturers website and look up flue sizing chart. Also, the installation instructions that came with the furnace has a flue vent sizing chart showing different flue configurations when common venting...take the time to read and study this. Putting screws through a b-vent usually violates the listing if you puncture the liner inside. You also lose the UL lising on the b-vent when you chop a hole through the side of it and obsruct the flow of flue gasses in the main chimney. Other than that, it's peachy lol

Anyone test the temperature rise on this furnace?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: