Honeywell Ignition Module Faults

Old 02-05-13, 03:09 PM
Honeywell Ignition Module Faults

I got a problem with the ignition module. it goes into internal fault.
this is the 4th module replacement in two years (yes 4th) the module gets replaced runs that day or a couple days & faults out. when the furnance goes into night temp (68 degrees) it does not fire up in the morning to 72*. At first we have to turn the thermostat off & on to get the furnace to heat up. then after a few days of that, Nothing. The module blinks 6 times saying internal fault. Techs checked the voltage the furnace & can't figure why this module keeps faulting out. yes an older 1991 Tempstar. the heating guys say the furnace is in good shape for it's age. (climate in the basement is excellant)

I know I got to replace the furnace at some point, but this 24v module should not be faulting out. I'm wondering is there another module out there

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 04:23 PM
there are all kinds of modules that can do that. However, you said
when the furnance goes into night temp (68 degrees) it does not fire up in the morning to 72*. At first we have to turn the thermostat off & on to get the furnace to heat up.
When this happens you need to check the module for a fault code. If no fault code then we need to start determining if the module is receiving a call for heat/ignition and what voltage it is getting during this time. The S8610U3009 honeywell is a very reliable control and I don't think changing brands is going to make a difference.

Is there a wire installed on the GND (burner) terminal? Is this wire properly grounded to the pilot burner?

Old 02-05-13, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you know the make and model of the ignition module that came with the furnace, post that.

And post the model number of the module you are currently using.

Also---

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace.

Describe in order and in detail the sequence of events that occurs when the furnace lights up, and the sequence of events that occurs when it fails to light up.