Forced Air Filter Change Issue? Might be stupid...

Old 02-08-13, 06:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Forced Air Filter Change Issue? Might be stupid...

Hey, I'm a first time home owner faced with a most likely very common issue that will make me feel stupid. I live in NY and I'm trying to save some money on my heating bills and realize I haven't change my filter in far too long.

I have a gas forced air furnace, not sure how old but not ancient. It's an Ameristar (?) looks in pretty good shape. Now here is my issue, every DIY page I look at shows this is very simple. Pop a cover off and done. So I took off the front access panel, no filter to be found. Next DIY shows the filter located in a pull out panel just before the duct work (cold air return?). Well, no side access at all for me.

The large duct directly adjacent to the furnace appears to be "caved in" a little and the previous home owner wrote the filter size on it so I can only assume thats where it's located. I started taking out some screws in hopes of finding a magical access panel I couldn't see but nothing. All I seem to be able to do is remove the entire duct from the side of the furnace and I'm not comfortable trying that until I get some more opinions...

I'm at a damn loss here and just want this to be easy :/, thoughts??

Old 02-08-13, 09:38 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When you removed the access panel, was it the upper panel where the burners are located, or the lower panel which houses the blower? From the lower - blower - area you may be able to see the filter.
If not, send some pics of the furnace and ducting close to the furnace.

Old 02-08-13, 01:20 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The upper where the burners were... it didn't seem like the lower half came off but in honesty I didn't try. I will go back down and give it a shot in a minute, I'll post with results...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: