Carrier 58GSC065-JB gas furnace, spark ignition problem

Old 02-16-13, 09:02 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58GSC065-JB gas furnace, spark ignition problem

I have a Carrier furnace that does not reach temp (or heat up at all sometimes.) Had the gas co. come out...said it was electrical & had to call an HVAC guy. Gas man jiggled the high-voltage wire (which was wrapped w/electrical tape, perhaps spliced) and we could see it affected whether the pilot sparked or not. Before I have to spend a fortune on a pro, I'd like to test it/replace parts myself first. Questions: Should a high voltage wire be spliced? And if not, is this a good place to start? The part costs $27 (quick search.) If I swap that & it fixes things, I'd be thrilled. [Before I read this, I thought it might also be the 3-wire pilot burner (but says above this is uncommon, plus when the spark does work, everything runs fine--for awhile, anyway.)] thanks for any help!

Last edited by hvactechfw; 02-17-13 at 04:00 AM. Reason: do not hijack old threads it can lead to dangerous situations when repairing gas furnaces if you are given advice for something that has nothing to do with your specific problem.
Old 02-17-13, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, it should NOT be spliced. It may be the spark module as those failed often especially when they got older.

Old 02-17-13, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
What year is this furnace? The manuals range from 1984 to 1987.
This is a 1987 58GSC manual.

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../58gsc-7si.pdf

Having this old furnace professionally inspected would be a good idea.

Old 02-17-13, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the ignition module a small black box about 2x3x 3 inches or a gray box about 4x5x2"?

The black boxes very rarely needed to be replaced.

The gray boxes often needed to be replaced.

I'd take the tape off to see if the wire has been spliced. I would say that would be unlikely --- I never saw a spliced HV cable.

I'm GUESSING that you have a gray box, no splice or cut in the wire and that the box needs to be replaced. Of course, guessing is an unreliable diagnostic method.

Old 02-18-13, 06:56 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, & thanks for the replies/advice!
I removed the electrical tape--you're right, the wire's not spliced. BUT, insulation is damaged...down to bare wire. Possibly burned? Doesn't look charred or melted-looking, tho'. Looks like it was chewed by tiny teeth (huh...?)

I'm not sure what year this furnace is, although the label's ANSI # has "B-1989" stamped on it. 1989 is stamped on another part, as well. So if I had to guess, haha... Thanks for the link to the manual, BTW. I haven't been able to find anything like that so far!

As for my ignition module, it's the gray-ish one, P/N lh33wz512a. A quick search online tells me this isn't a cheap part! (I'm still hoping the HV wire is the ONLY problem...) So, whatd'ya think? Would it help if I posted a picture of the wire?
Thank you all, I appreciate this more than you know!

Old 02-19-13, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that the chewed wire is the problem. As long as you aren't getting sparking from the chewed portion of the wire to the furnacew chassis, that's not the problem, although replacing the wire is probably a good idea.

I would suppose that the ignition control box is the problem. You might try tapping on the ignition control when the furnace doesn't turn on to see if that causes it to start.

Also, describe in detail the sequence of events which happens when you turn up the thermostat. Start by turning the thermostat down and the power off for five seconds. Turn the power on.

Then turn up the thermostat and describe what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: