Old Gas Furnace Blowing White Smoke Through Vents

Old 02-18-13, 10:12 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Gas Furnace Blowing White Smoke Through Vents

Hi All,

I was wondering if somebody would be able to help me find out what the problem with my furnace is. I have an old furnace (no new technology features on it) and it was working perfectly fine until today. It made a weird noise and after this noise, about 10 mins later, white smoke was coming out of ALL of the floor vents. I immediately turned off the entire heating system. Then, I proceeded to go downstairs to check out the furnace and saw small amounts of water on the ground in the general area of the furnace. Those were the only things that I noticed about the furnace. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be, the cost to repair, etc? If you need any more info, feel free to ask me.

Thanks for the help!
Thomas

Old 02-18-13, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
White smoke coming out of the vents...... did it have any smell ? Burning smell ?

A make and model of furnace could be helpful.
If no make and model.....a picture would help.

Water dripping on heat exchanger could possibly create steam.

Any idea where the water is coming from ?
Possibly down the chimney ?

on edit:
Do you have a humidifer attached to that furnace ?

Last edited by PJmax; 02-18-13 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-18-13, 12:09 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I've attached pictures of the furnace. The make is Honeywell, but I wasn't able to find the serial #. Yes, it has a humidifier. The only signs of water are on the lower portion of the furnace (red box highlighted). As for the smoke, it made the room foggy, but it didn't register anything on the carbon monoxide reader. The smoke did have a slight smell to it, but I wouldn't say it had the smell of something on fire.

Attached Images   
Old 02-18-13, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
The area you highlighted is below the bypass vent line to the humidifier. It sounds like the issue is your humidifier. Possibly the media element has fallen into the furnace or crumbled. You should be able to take the cover off your humidifier and check for issues. It maybe be pretty mineraled up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: