location for emergency stop power switch

Old 02-21-13, 06:37 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
location for emergency stop power switch

Anybody knows is there any requirement for the location of the power emergency stop switch for a gas boiler ( for heating)? The boiler is located in the basement at other end corner need to passing 2 rooms. Right now there are two switches. The first one sits right at the entry door of the basement at the end of the stairs. Because the previous oil boiler was sit there. The second one locates at the back of the boiler.

I am finishing my basement. I will add a wall beside the boiler. I am planning move the second switch to the right side of the boiler for easy access. Is this ok?

I am also think remove the first one if it is not necessary to have it there. Is this a right thing to do?

thanks,

Old 02-21-13, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,873 Posts
There needs to be a switch with red plate within site of the unit for servicing. I usually install it on the side of the unit for convenience.

I usually install a second one at entrance of room where heater is installed. As most heaters are installed in basements, I'll install the switch at the top of the stairs.

Old 02-21-13, 11:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
PJmax, do you know if the second switch at the entrance is required by code? I've never seen one with a gas system, but always on oil systems. I've always been curious why that would be. Granted, I've walked into more basements filling with black smoke due to oil heater issues and never had a gas heater problem like that.

Old 02-21-13, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
As I recall, an emergency switch is to be installed in an area away from the boiler & where one would not have to pass the boiler to shut it off, preferably in another room. The switch at the top of the basement stairs has always been acceptable to my local inspectors.

Old 02-21-13, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,873 Posts
It looks like according to NFPA 31 for oil burners, a switch is required outside the entrance to the mechanical room or at the top of the stairs if the basement is open.

A second switch is not listed for gas. It looks like the second switch requirement is based on the AHJ.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: