White Rodgers 36E help

Old 02-23-13, 12:51 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
White Rodgers 36E help

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 58ZAV unit. It is operating intermittently upon call for heat. I'm getting the dreaded 34 code. I hear/see my blower unit operating, see my flame igniter coil glowing red, and hear the clicking of my gas valve, but no flame. I decide to smell for gas on the next cycle, and I smell a hint of it, but no flame. I decide that my gas valve might be a bit sticky, so I smack it with big-ass wrench immediately after "click" sound. BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! Flame!!!!!!!!!! It's not a long term solution. What needs fixing? Where can I look for directions/manual for repair?

Old 02-23-13, 04:54 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You should not do the repair yourself. A proper gas valve replacement includes setting the gas regulator in the gas valve. This is a repair best left to a pro.

Old 02-23-13, 09:21 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, the "pro" in my town could not even diagnose the problem. He cleaned my flame sensor, and charged me 80 bucks for the visit. The unit wasn't even getting flame to the flame sensor, and was blinking 34...

Old 02-23-13, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Find a different (competent) contractor.

Old 02-23-13, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds very much like you have a gas valve that is sticking and needs to be replaced.

That gives you the opportunity to shop around for a repair service to properly install the gas valve for you.

Since you know what you need, you can use the market to your advantage.

"I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 58ZAV furnace and the electric gas valve is sticking and not opening reliably. I would like to get you bid for replacing the gas valve --- part and labor."

Call that around to as many different repair companies as you like and compare the prices you get.

I'd actually call your previous repair service back and give them a chance to redeem their incorrect diagnosis. That particular error isn't real evidence of bad faith or incomptence, and they might be willing to give you a good price on replacing the gas valve.

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences shopping the market for this repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: