How to troubleshoot Rheem gas heater that is not turning for just one day

Old 02-24-13, 09:02 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to troubleshoot Rheem gas heater that is not turning on for just one day

Mom's Rheem Model RGDD-08NEGR AR3D302 input 80,000 BTU/HR home gas faurnace quit turning on one day ago. (It has been working fine up to then.) Elderly mother called Electric Company that came out and said it was faulty Ignitor Control. That Part is labeled #100-00812-31 Model # HS780. Supposedly this has been replaced by Robertshaw Model 780-910 Ignition Control.

How do I make sure that is the true problem of why heater doesn't turn on as strange just quit working all at once and won't turn on at all. Is this part replaceable easily? Someone Mom called said complete new furnace would be needed!

Husband is handy if just a part needs to be replaced but needs instruction quide to know what to do. So two big questions are: 1. How to tell exact problem of why furnace not turning on at all. 2. If just simple part to replace, need instructions on how to replace it and where to access instructions.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any help you can give.

Last edited by snowyhoney; 02-24-13 at 09:38 AM. Reason: title missing one work
Old 02-24-13, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
There are diagnostic steps that must be performed to arrive at an answer to your question. It requires a meter and a basic knowledge of using it.

The control board is probably located in the lower section of the furnace. You would have to remove the blower door, hold in the door safety switch and observe what happens inside the furnace as well as what the blinking LED does on the front of the control board.

That control board is easy to replace if it's the only problem. Sometimes service people just guess at the repair. They replace the board and try again.

Old 02-24-13, 01:58 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
A good and competent repair person does NOT guess at the repair; they test and prove the cause of the symptom before attempting a repair.

Old 02-25-13, 12:11 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks and Mom's furnace now working :)

Thanks for writing some comments addressing Mom's furnace problem. Husband went to check it out todayand it turns out that the real problem was just the ignitor. Believe it or not, before Dad passed away, he had put a replacement ignitor close by that husband actually found today. Seems Dad is helping from heaven as at first husband thought it was a previously used burned out ignitor saved to show part needed. So about 5 PM tonight, Mom had heat again. Wish all my problems could be solved as fast as this. It certainly was nice to have this site to express the problem so maybe that helped at trying to to see what really was broken.

My next "fix it" issue is daughter's laptop that our 14 year old cat helped spill a bit of coffee on a few weeks ago and now numbers seven, eight, and nine don't work. I will have to check out if there is a place on this "do it yourself site" that allows me to ask for help on that problem. In meantime, daughter has to do her online math homework with another keyboard plugged into her laptop to access the needed number keys. Dell made it sound like laptop problem is not fixable and new laptop needed. I hope they are wrong like repair was wrong on Mom's furnace.

Thanks again for your comments and help. Hope everyone has a great week and all their items get fixed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: