Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Honeywell Electrostatic Air Filter clean light comes consistently after cleaning

Honeywell Electrostatic Air Filter clean light comes consistently after cleaning

Old 02-27-13, 09:39 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a F52F electronic air cleaner (has 2 prefilters and to electrostatic air filters). The clean light comes in, and I clean it. Then it works fine. Then a few days later the clean light comes on again.

I used to previously clean it once a month, and no issues with the light coming on. I've tried washing it in the dishwasher (but air drying it). I've used ZAP cleaner. And I first pre-wash it in the opposite direction of air flow. The water from cleaning does not come out dirty at all.

The house is 20 years old (probably the same with the filter). Gas furnace, also 20 years old, but running fine and recently inspected.

Do I need to replace the filter unit, or the cartridge? Cartridge is supposed to last a lifetime. The cartridge wires I've individually wiped clean, and they look fine. Anything else to check/try? I'm in Seattle area. Again previously monthly cleaning was fine, and the clean light would not come on.

Old 02-27-13, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Why not try it without the ZAP cleaner?

It sound like the only change from the proper cleaning was using ZAP. Perhaps it does not rinse off clean enough or leaves a charge that may collect something to give you an earlier clean light.

Do a couple of cycles without ZAP to see if things straighten out.

Dick

Old 02-27-13, 02:04 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Very carefully inspect the cells from both sides to make certain that none of the wires have come loose or broken. Also, monthly cleaning may not be often enough. Electronic air filters lose efficacy as the pick up dirt and they can take out extremely small particles of dirt. I recommend that they be cleaned every two weeks unless preceded by a deep media filter.

Old 02-27-13, 04:41 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
I recommend that the cells be replaced with media filter cartridges if they fit properly.

EACs only work when spotless. When they're dirty, the dust passes right through the cells with bad results. Even monthly cleaning with harsh chemicals may not do the trick.

Old 03-18-13, 01:10 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys.. I've tried various cleaning strategies since then. I also noticed some of the wires were bent, and I finally got the replacements and fixed them. Stil, I've had the light go off for a day after cleaning them, and then the wash light is on again.

I'm going to be switching to the media filter as you recommended. Seems like they work better and are much lower maintenance (replace every 6 months).

Thanks for the ideas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: