Thermostat set at 80, internal house temp set at 67???

Old 02-27-13, 09:16 PM
D
dsw
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat set at 80, internal house temp set at 67???

For some reason, no matter what temperature we set on our thermostat, we can't seem to get our house to get warmer than 67 degrees. I've tested the thermostat so that I know when I shift the thermostat from "off" to "heat/on" I can hear the furnace click on.

Moreover, the air that comes out of the baseboards is warm. However, it is not super hot, no matter how high we turn the thermostat.

Is there something I'm missing here?

The furnace is relatively new (w/i past 5 years) and last year we ran into a problem with the furnace where it was not blowing hot air. We had someone come out to fix it and until about 1 month ago it was working fine.

I live in Chicago and it has been very cold lately -- so I imagine if I wasn't getting any heat the temp would drop down below the 67 where it has been fixed for at least a week.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-13, 09:45 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Here are a few thoughts. Is the furnace cycling on and off when you call for heat. If it seems to be running normally, place a thermometer next to the thermostat and see if the temp between your setting and the actual temperature are close. If so, look for a heat vent that might be blowing at the thermostat or a lighted lamp near it.

If the thermometer reads 67 while the thermostat is set for 70 and the furnace has shut down because the thermostat thinks that it is 70, you need to replace the thermostat.

Also change the furnace filter if you have not done so recently and check that the room vents are fully open.

Old 03-03-13, 06:06 AM
D
dsw
Figured it out. The filter had not been cleaned for a long time. It actually turned out to be a re-usable filter, so I took it out, vacuumed the gunk off of both sides, put it back and I now have a warm house again. My guess is that the furnace would shut off when it got too hot (because it was trying so hard to get air through the system) and would shut off before reaching the right temp (it would shut off and eventually go back on even when I had the thermostat on "on" rather than "auto.") Don't know if this is the technical reason, but to my novice mind it makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-04-13, 05:48 AM
J
Same problem, but require a different solution. Won't maintain set point

I have the same issue. Furnace seems to work fine, no error codes cycles on and off throughout the day, but house won't get warmer than low 60's regardless of the set point.

Replaced wall thermostat, filter changed religiously. No error codes. - of possible relevance, 2 years ago repair guy replaced the control circuit board with one he said is a little different, but it seemed to work fine since. Have noticed that at the end of the heating cycle, the blower often kicks on for a few minutes before shutting down until the next cycle. Any ideas on what part to replace or what I need to check? Thos could be irrevelent items, but i wanted to point them out.

I was planning on swapping the circuit board, but it is pricy and was hoping it was something else.

We're wearing hats here in Wisconsin, but have no fear of freezing pipes... yet. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Old 03-04-13, 09:46 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Don't swap anything.

Carefully observe what what happens - Does the furnace shut off before the setpoint is reached? Does it run continuously and not satisfy the t-stat?

Old 03-04-13, 01:26 PM
J
The furnace cycles normally, it just shuts off before the setpoint is reached. Later it cycles back on. it just doesn't make it back to the t-stat set point. Colder days it has a bigger delta with actual to t-stat. Warmer days it does better at keeping it close. After cycling off recently, I just checked and it is blinking once. I'm trying to find the manual to determine if 1 LED is normal or an error. I'm confident that in an hour or so, it'll fire up again to get the house back in the mid 60's.

Thanks in advance, I'm happy to swap/ troubleshoot. I don't have the funds handy to pay for a service call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: