Furnace clicking on and off repeatedly

Old 02-28-13, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace clicking on and off repeatedly

Hi all; new to the boards.

I am having an issue with my furnace and or stat; I am not very good with HVAC diagnosis, so I was hoping posting to these boards could give me some insight.

My furnace is a Ruud Achiever Super Quiet 80. It was installed about 5 years ago.

Basically the furnace will continuously click on and off. I am not quiet sure what the clicking sound is. It is a bit hard to explain so I recorded it with my iPhone.

Here is the recording: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1885149/furnace2.mp3

As you can hear it happens within seconds of each other and will go on for quite some time (although I only recorded about 10 seconds of it). It has been happening for about a week and until today would only happen for about 20 seconds then either stop or just continue heating the home as normal.

Today it just wouldn't stop, so after about 3 minutes or more, I just clicked the thermostat to the "off" position. After waiting about 30 mins I turned the thermostat back on and it is working fine. Fires up, flames blue, etc...

I am not sure what I should be looking at to see what the problem could be; for some reason I think it is related to the stat, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I have an old honeywell chronotherm stat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-13, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Weak batteries in your thermostat? Failing thermostat? Failing control board? Could be any of those.

Old 02-28-13, 04:34 PM
I had a similar problem that happened randomly. The burner would kick on for 10 seconds then shut off. This repeated until enough heat was produced to kick the blower on. I noticed the temp reading would fluctuate up and down a degree like the t-stat couldn't decide what reading to display.

I probably have an issue of some kind but I got around it by getting into the settings and changing the differential to 2 degrees instead of 1, so the air temp has to be 2 degrees below the set point before the furnace kicks on.

Old 02-28-13, 04:51 PM
CRISPY,
That does not sound like it is very comfortable...... 2 degrees is a lot. I recommend you replace your thermostat. If you wish to discuss your problem more please start your own thread.

Old 02-28-13, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I replaced the batteries in the thermostat and that didn't seem to resolve anything.

I ended up having an HVAC friend come by and take a look. We replaced the thermostat with a newer one and he said that my "pressure switch" was getting stuck. I am not exactly sure what that means, but he said he would come back and replace it after he gets the part.

The heat is working and I haven't yet experienced/heard the same issue as I originally posted, but while we were testing everything with the new thermostat my buddy said it happened again for a few seconds; so he recommended the new pressure switch for sure.

He said he checked a few other things to make sure they were clean, but I am not sure the name of these parts; he said everything else looked fine.

Hoping the issue doesn't come back; will report after the pressure switch is swapped out.

Old 02-28-13, 05:33 PM
I doubt you need a press switch.

Old 02-28-13, 05:38 PM
Could you elaborate why you doubt it?

Like I said, I am not well versed in HVAC repair; my buddy is doing this as a favor so I don't think he would be saying something is bad, unless he think it is.

Whether or not that is the cause of the above listed issue is another story, but he did say it was getting stuck.

Old 02-28-13, 09:17 PM
pressure switches rarely fail.... maybe 5% of the time