Cost of Burner Replacement?

Old 03-01-13, 06:08 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cost of Burner Replacement?

I've been told by my heating contractor that the heat exchanger on my 20 yo oil fired furnace is cracked and the furnace will need to be replaced (I'd also need a new oil tank as mine is apparently starting to corrode).

Given the price of oil, I've been thinking of coverting to propane. So, I was given a price of approx. $6,000 to replace my oil burner with a propane fired Thermopride CDB1 unit. This price also includes removal of the current system and tank, adapters for the current ductwork, and tank disposal.

Is this reasonable? The house is located in NH, it's a vacation home and is approx. 1,200 sq. ft.

I've done some research and it appears Thermopride burners have a good reputation.

Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance-

Old 03-01-13, 07:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most new furnaces, whether gas or oil, no matter what brand, are very reliable and all have about the same efficiency. The major differences come in to play as to accessability to be serviced. Just like a car, some times the oil filter is right there where you can get at it and sometimes you need a mirror just to find it. Most likely you will not be servicing the product that you purchase so that doesn't really matter to you. Most likely price, matters to you. Get another price from another guy. Three total if you can. Compare warranties. 5 10 20 yr? Pro rated? Parts and service? Replacement coverage? Make sure you understand what you are getting. Myself, I would stay with oil. The fuel cost for oil would be less than that to heat with propane. As for oil tank replacement, they will usually rot from the inside out. This is not something you can see but may be able to check for. If there is water in the fuel and it remains in the tank long enough it could rust through the tank. The tank will usually have a drain or supply fitting on it's bottom. That should be the lowest point in the tank and the water would gather there. You could press on the tank to see if it is flexable (the metal would be thinist there) if it is soft, don't push your finger through the tank or if it is wet with fuel due to leak. Have your other price givers give it a look too.
Don't rush into the purchase. If you do stay with oil, run a two line system and it will cut down on problems in the future. Also put some heating oil treatment in the tank every season to ensure there are no water problems in the fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: