Trac Pipe

Old 03-04-13, 04:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trac Pipe

I was going to have the plumber run Gas Trac Pipe to an upstairs gas insert fireplace in the bedroom through an existing fresh air vent from the basement to the second floor. It's a finished house and will be easy to snake this through this chase. The fresh air vent chase is flexible duct that was completely encased in cement when the fireplaces were built so it's solid !!! Another plumber said he would never use Trac Pipe in his house. Geese .... Any reason to be concerned here ? Is this stuff safe ? Any bad experiences ? I know it needs to be bonded for protection.

Old 03-04-13, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I have had no issues. Its corrugated steel.

Another plumber said he would never use Trac Pipe in his house. Geese .... Any reason to be concerned here ?

He probably read something about lightning and it scared him.

You need to be certified to use it.

Better then black pipe IMO. No joints in the wall. Only joints are on the ends.

Not sure if you can run up that duct though.... That may be a no.no. I would have to check code.....

Old 03-04-13, 05:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lawrosa, Thanks. I figured if it's OK to run in a framed wall , why wouldn't it be ok to run in what is essentially a concrete chase. It's certainly more protected in there. No nails or any thing going to touch it. Is there a reason you thought it might be a problem ?

Old 03-04-13, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I dont think you can run pipe or wires in a structure thats designed for something else. Just common pratice from what I have seen in the field. Additionally it needs to be supported every 6 ft I believe.

Possible someone else will chime in. I will poke around the code and see what I can find. You in NY city or state?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: