Tenant says...

Old 03-05-13, 04:45 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tenant says...

This one is tough one for me. I have a rental. The tenant says the furnace does not work at night. Back ground on havoc is goodman about 7 years old. It operates on propane. Currently the tank is 40%. I have been over there to check this furnace and it works fine. However I know something odd is happening. I met a repareman over there today and as soon as we walked in we noticed it was 68 degrees but the thermostat was set to call for heat at 75. The repairman adjusted the thermostat to a position below the ambient temp then raised back to 75. The furnace activated fine. Two technicians have looked at this system and have failed to diagnose a problem. Motherboard shows normal operation. I realize that an hvac system does not know the difference between night and day. Has any one ever heard of such scenario before. Please advise. This is very difficult and expensive problem because I do not have the benefit of living there. All I can do is parrot the complaint of the tenant.

Old 03-05-13, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,105 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
Welcome to the forums !

I wish it was under more favorable conditions. I understand the situation you are in.

Several things come to mind.
1) I would have expected the technician to have have checked the furnace for trouble codes before he reset the thermostat.
2) Since you have propane and this problem only seems to happen at night.... A low pressure problem with your propane delivery system comes to mind.

To help you further a model number of the furnace would be required.

Old 03-05-13, 07:47 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Actually setback thermostats may be off 12 hours.

Old 03-05-13, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Change the batteries in the t stat or get a new one. Could be either or.

My junkie lux t stats did that. Sometime I would wake to a freezing house. Had to just adjust temp to get them to click. Changed batteries, and often worked for a while.

Lux finally replaced them with a new model free of charge.

All is good now... You could have this same simple issue.

What kind of stat? make and model?

Old 03-23-13, 08:51 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Having the same problem with my goodman repair tech is replacing igniter. Hoping this works.

Old 03-24-13, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
The low LP pressure switches that I usually see have a manual reset button on them. Does this furnace have one installed?

As PJ has already posted we need someone to count the LED flashing code at the furnace.

I would clean the flame sensor, burner face and every connection between the ground wire and the burners. I would also measure flame rectification.

3 ground screws are shown here...

Last edited by Houston204; 03-24-13 at 07:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: