Williams wall heater problems

Old 03-06-13, 05:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Williams wall heater problems

I recently purchased a cabin with a Williams wall heater as a heat source. When I leave after a weekend, I set the thermostat at 50 degrees, but the last two times I have returned to the cabin and the temperature is near 30 degrees and the heater is not running. When I turn the thermostat up, the heater fires up and works fine all weekend, but I have noticed that the blower fan takes about 10 minutes to come on after the heater has started. I would think that the fan should start within 1-2 minutes after the heater starts. There is a reset button on the upper left side of the heater near the fan, and I am wondering if this is a high temperature switch that is tripping the heater offline because the heater gets too hot before the fan turns on.

Can someone help diagnose this problem, and explain the function of the reset button? Where would I get replacement parts for this heater?

Thanks

Old 03-06-13, 06:04 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you have counterflo wall furnace. Is this a regular wall furnace with a blower kit added or a tall factory model. let me assume a factory counterflo. The reset button is to kill the burner should the fan not start and the unit overheats, that's why it is a manual reset, so you notice a problem. The thermostat could be your problem, I wish I knew what type of ignition system you have. It may just be a dirty pilot. are you able post pictures? Blower not starting could be just cold air that needs to heat up. The fan is operated by a thermal switch.

Old 03-07-13, 06:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how to tell if this is a counterflo furnace, or regular wall furnace. The fan looks like it was included as a part of the original furnace installation. The fan takes about 10 minutes to start after the furnace fires, even after the cabin is warmed up. How do I determine if the fan's thermal switch is defective?

I jumpered the thermostat and it checks out good.

Old 03-08-13, 08:15 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It not as easy as it may sound. Could be the furnace is "undergassed", meaning it could have a spider in the orifice or reg is set to low. At this point I don't know how to help you that is meaningful. you have already bypassed the thermostat. I suppose you could just replace the fan switch. The rating is stamped on the part, such as, F-130 or F-90. The rating is dependent on weather the rating is for fan on or fan off. Typically the rating for thermo-disc switches is fan on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: