Carrier Gas Furnace startup issue

Old 03-06-13, 05:13 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier Gas Furnace startup issue

We have Carrier 58STA gas furnace that has an intermittent startup problem. During startup, the ignitor will glow and the gas valve will open and the burners will light. They will stay lit for about 5 seconds, and then go out. This cycles a few times and then the furnace shuts down (for hours). There are times when the unit will stay on and heat our house. I thought it was the flame sensor, so I cleaned it and reinstalled - that fix didn't work. I bought a new flame sensor and installed it - the problem persists. This issue is random - there are times during the day when the unit will turn on with no problems. Other times, I can hear it cycle a few times and then shut down. Any thoughts.

As a side note, the unit is 8 years old.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-13, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,094 Upvotes on 3,677 Posts
Welcome to the forums !

The flame sensor rod is only one part of the circuit. The rod must be completely engulfed in the flame. Also the ground and mounting screws for the control box are very important.

Your furnace has a control board in the lower section behind the blower door. There should be a sight hole thru the blower door. Next time it fails check for an LED flashing. Watch the pattern ..... it will be the diagnostic/trouble code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: