Door for Coleman Evcon Heating & Air

Old 03-09-13, 02:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Door for Coleman Evcon Heating & Air

Hi, I have a 1974 mobile home with a gas Coleman Evcon (don't know model #) and the outside door to this unit was mangled in a storm. I've had a piece of plywood put up (on hinges) but am wondering about required ventilation. Should I also install air slots? Thanks! P.S. Looks to me like the water heater sits on top of the heater unit too, but not sure. Clueless!

Old 03-09-13, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little lost. Are you referring to the metal burner access door as the one that is missing and mangled ?
If it was metal before it needs to be replaced with metal.......if it had air slots then it needs them.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the water heater.

Pictures are always a big help. A picture says a thousand words.

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-13, 05:07 PM
C
Furnace Door

Hi -- thanks so much for the response! Really appreciate it. Yes, of course, photos would help. The door that was mangled is just the outer door (part of the mobile home, not the furnace door). The attached photos show the replacement wood door we put up (plywood) and the inside of the furnace. Looks like it has a vent pipe (?) that goes up to ceiling. I don't know what the insulated piece is... part of the furnace?

So my question is since it is a gas heater, I should probably put holes throughout the new door to give ventilation?

Thanks for your help!

Cheryl

Attached Images   
Old 03-09-13, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Ahh........ok.

Makes sense now. You have outside access to your utility room.
Normally you need to allow the same amount of air into the room as you are exhausting. If that door and room are fairly air tight ........ then you'll need to add an air grill to the door.

That insulated piece is the heated air supply back to the house. There is probably a large vent on the wall directly in front of the furnace which would be the return.

Old 03-09-13, 07:24 PM
C
Outside Furnace - now with breathing holes!

Hi again! Your message helps! Think I am finally on the same page. The "room" is more like a closet -- 40 x 80. Attached is a photo showing some holes I drilled into the door. They are 1 1/2" in size. Does this sound like enough or should I add more? Yes, there is a vent at the very top of this area that must be the return you mentioned.

Thanks so much! I honestly didn't think anybody would respond.

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-13, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
In your picture..... the shiny metal pipe that goes up thru the roof is the exhaust flue.
The duct on the left that goes from the top of the unit to the ceiling and is fully insulated is the conditioned air TO the house.

Is your water heater in this same room. If so....more holes are needed.

Actually right now the holes are ok but soon you'll need to get a vent with a screen to keep out the bees, wasps and other insects.

The vent in the pic has a screen on the back to keep out insects. The hole in the wood for it would be cut to allow maximum air flow thru it.

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-13, 09:21 PM
C
Thanks

Makes a world of sense. No, water heater is in another outdoor "closet."

Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-14-13, 02:22 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The amount of ventilation depends on the BTU input of the furnace and water heater combined. (as speced out in the install manual of the furnace or code in your area - whichever is stricter)

What you have may not be sufficient.

Old 03-14-13, 09:15 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did the original door on the mobile home to the furnace compartment have a vent in it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: