new furnance/central air unit not heating/cooling properly

Old 03-11-13, 07:40 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new furnance/central air unit not heating/cooling properly

I replaced my furnace and central air unit last August and have been struggling ever since with issues regarding heat/cooling. It is a 2 floor, 1 bedroom townhouse. I had Carrier Model 58CVA/CVX installed. The cooling and heating was never an issue previously - it was just my concern that the 18 year old units needed to be replaced.

Since the heat was turned on, the upstairs is an absolute sauna and the downstairs is cold. I closed all the vents upstairs - no impact to the distribution of heat. Plus, my usuage every month since is up 35%-40%. Even with the upstairs vents closed, the air flow downstairs is minimal. It has been suggested I have dampers installed on the flows in the attic area to direct more air downstairs but I have to say I'm confused. Why would this be needed with a new, more efficient system when it never was an issue previously?

I change the filters every month.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-11-13, 07:58 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There could be a number of factors involved, but my first step would be to get the installing contractor back to see if they missed something. You should be getting lower energy bills - assuming that your old unit was not high efficiency.

Old 03-11-13, 08:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I suggest you contact the installer with your concerns. Most offer at least a 1 year warranty on workmanship. Maybe some of your downstairs ductwork got restricted or restrictions on the upstairs ducts was removed during the change out.

Old 03-11-13, 12:27 PM
B
Thanks for the input - he's coming back to put dampers on in the attic area - I wasn't sure that was the way to go without first inspecting the ductwork.

Old 03-11-13, 12:32 PM
B
It was definitely not high efficiency at all - but got the job done. Thanks for answering my post - it's appreciated! My contractor is looking to put dampers in the attic area but I wanted to get other opinions because I would think the ductwork should be checked first.

Old 03-11-13, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It COULD be that the contractor oversized the unit? Are you using a 2 stage thermostat or the infinity stat? You have a 2 stage variable speed furnace.

Old 03-12-13, 10:22 AM
B
I know it is not an infinity stat - he did not replace the existing thermostat at all. It's still the original one. I am wondering if it wasn't oversized - it definitely pumps some air upstairs when I open the vents!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: