Trane XE 80 gas furnace malfunctioning - need help!

Old 03-22-13, 06:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE 80 gas furnace malfunctioning - need help!

So I have a Trane XE 80 gas furnace (model no 076700417). The furnace will correctly light about 25% of the time, but the rest of the time I just end up with a furnace that is blowing cold air and the temp in the house drops until I notice this. I replaced the igniter and the furnace worked correctly for almost a week, but it has stopped working correctly once again.

What happens..
The ignitor will glow bright red and the gas will kick on, but fail to ignite. The gas will blow for 1-2 seconds and then the furnace will do one of two things. The first thing that happens, and it occurs several times in a row, is that the gas will stop blowing, the ignitor will remain glowing red, and the gas will kick on again in a few seconds and try to relight. After this has happened several times, the gas will kick on and remain on for 1-2 seconds, then the flame will go out and the ignitor will cease glowing red, then the furnace will begin blowing cold air until I notice it. I have been opening up the furnace and then closing it again to get the furnace to attempt to restart. This works 1 out of every 4 or 5 attempts.

I think it could be that the gas valve is somehow malfunctioning, but am not positive. At first I thought that the ignitor may not have been getting hot enough, and it had a small chunk taken out of one section of it, so I replaced it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-22-13, 07:13 AM
R
Also, the diagnostic light is blinking fast when the furnace initially tries to light, and continues blinking fast even after the furnace fails to light and begins to blow cold air. The fast blinking light is supposed to be a code for "call for heat." Also, the model number on the control panel is White - Rodgers 50A50-405.

Old 03-24-13, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It sounds like the burners may need cleaned... Or the ignitor is not positioned properly. The model number you posted is not a trane model number. The model and serial number are located inside the unit on a data rating plate/sticker. When the furnace begins blowing cold air is the time to check the diagnostic indicator light.

Old 01-28-14, 01:11 PM
L
Trane XE90 blowing cold

@Redman08, i have a Trane XE90 doing about the same thing. it blows cold for a cycle or two, and the next cycle will be warm. thermostat temp set at 68, but house temp varies from 60-69. repairman came to check and found the flame sensor broke off when he was cleaning it. he installed a new "similar" one and will replace with a genuine Trane flame sensor (which i bought online for $10 instead of his for $80) when he returns. but the problem still occurs several times daily. he also suspects a burner or two are damaged and is going to check that when he returns.

did you ever discover what your cold air issue was? i'd like to get him on track without multiple visits.

Old 01-28-14, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Redman has not come back since his last post. You might want to start a new thread so others can help, and I'll delete your post here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: