Amana Gas Furnace Intermittent Issue Any Ideas?

Old 03-25-13, 09:01 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana Gas Furnace Intermittent Issue Any Ideas?

We just bought a approx 9 year old home, two story with Amana Propane Gas Furnance in crawlspace, and Amana Heat Pump in attic.

The issue is with the Gas Furnace. The house had just standard Honeywell thermostats not programmable. This issue probably would not have reared itself if we just kept the temperature on the same constant.

First I bought a Lux programmable had this issue then bought a programmable Honeywell and still have the issue, so it is not the thermostat.

Anytime we ask a 3 to 5 increase of temperature like from 66 to 70 first thing in the morning or from 63 to 67 in the afternoon, the furnace will just shut off and go into lockout code with one flashing light. The thermostat is still in heating mode and did not send the off command. Either I power it off and back on or wait for the 1 hour lockout to expire and then it will go back to running.

It does not do this everytime, of course the colder it is, the more likely it will lock out.

It is a Amana GULA090CX40 it is covering about 2200 sq ft downstairs, very open floor plan. The returns are 20x20 and 20x14 and have new filters. All registers are open and air flow is very warm and forceful when running out of all vents.

Again when the thermostat is set to just maintain like 67 or 68 like on the weekend it runs flawlessly.
I have cleaned the flame sensor, cleaned and checked the condensate lines and the flue pipe. Usually it will run for around 15 to 20 minutes before locking out, so it is not like it has a problem starting.

Any ideas, besides start changing out parts.

Old 03-25-13, 11:45 AM
R
How many times does the code light blink?

Old 03-25-13, 11:49 AM
P
It blinks once every two seconds. Not a fast blink. From what I gather from the back panel is 1 flash = system lockout (retries/recycles exceeded).

If left alone after one hour it will restart itself.

Old 03-25-13, 04:21 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Start by cleaning the flame sensor with 000 steel wool. To properly diagnose you need to catch it going into lockout and note the sequence of events that happened before it went to lockout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: