lennox pulse 21 recall expired for me

Old 03-31-13, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lennox pulse 21 recall expired for me

I have a 1992 Lennox Pulse 21 furnace. I called a HVAC contractor for a tuneup and he told me that my furnace was recalled because the heart exchanger leaks carbon monoxide and it can be very dangerous. He also said that it's difficult to get repair parts for Pulse furnaces. Of course he proposed replacing the furnace with an Armstrong 95% efficient model for approx. $4K. I called a Lennox dealer who told me that my furnace was covered by a lifetime warranty is I was the original owner or 20 years if I was not. I am the third owner so the warranty expired in 2012. Bottom line, I think it's time to replace the furnace anyway and I'm looking for recommendations. I hope this is not a violation of the forum rules. Is Armstrong a good brand of furnace that is worth considering? What are some other goods brands? I am considering Carrier, Trane, Bryant, Coleman and Rheem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I live in the Milwaukee, WI Metro area so winters are cold (lows down to -20 at times).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-13, 07:35 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Brand name isn't too important, since they all pretty much work the same way.

Focus on:
- The contractor
- sizing
- warranty
- installation type - make sure they take combustion air from outside
- other install details