Rudd # ROBD

Old 04-03-13, 06:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rudd # ROBD

High all
My father in law has the above furnace. It is oil fired, the only one I ever saw. I searched the forum archives, and none similar. The question is how do i clean it? It runs fairly cool {stack temp] so I know there can't be any soot buildup. I replaced the refactory a few years ago. It is about the size and shape of a five gallon pail, with two rows of about 1/ 1/2 holes on the bottom, as it had dveloped cracks between the holes, and there was a little flame impengment. I noticed no soot on the heat exchanger while I had the refractory out. I set it up with instruments, and got pretty good numbers. There is a hood/collector at the top [front] of the furnace, that I might be able to open up, and have a look see. As I said, it runs quite effecient, for a hot air unit. Has anyone had any eapierience with an oil fired Rudd/Rheem unit. Thanks.
Sid

Old 04-07-13, 06:20 AM
S
Rudd

Is this furnace that rare?
Sid

Old 04-07-13, 06:31 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I know the green Rheem hiboys are a pain,you pop the smoke pipe and look
in to see the holes.Can't picture yours,would have to see it.

Old 04-07-13, 07:57 AM
S
Rudd

The complete # is ROBD 1120BGA I hope this helps.
Sid

Old 04-07-13, 08:14 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not great with #', more visual, a quick check looks like a hiboy.IF I'am correct you got to take off s.p.at unit or smoke hood.All those bolts heads come off to drop the hood,the rope gasket is a pain and be carefull of stripping the bolts going back on.Unless you got a special hose that,s it. Could be the older one with the 2 small panels left and right of smoke pipe?

Old 04-07-13, 01:41 PM
S
Rudd

Yeah the hood is 1 piece, no smaller side clean out pannels. Looks the unit is primariely for gas. It seems to burn quite clean with oil. Just not much info on these units.
Sid

Old 11-15-13, 02:55 PM
S
The Rudd # ROBD

Hi All
Sorry I took so long to post the results. I opened up the exhaust hood, and there was the tubes right there ready to clean. Apparently it had been awhile since they had been cleaned, but it wasn't all that bad. I brushed the tubes [ or whatever they call them] and of course the soot and stuff wound up in the lower chamber that surrounds the combustion chamber [ round fire box ]. So it is all cleaned out, and ready for this heating season. Thank you for all your help.
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: