Oil Burner Smell

Old 04-23-13, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Burner Smell

I heat my home in the winter with wood 95% of the season and only use about one and a half tanks (275gal) of fuel oil a year.

I had let my oil tank run pretty low to the point I was almost out. To save some fuel I shut off the furnace on Friday night and called for delivery on Saturday morning.

Shortly after I turned the furnace back on, on my basement was filled with smoke. The burner was firing and I was getting hot water.

I had thought my issue had to do with the low tank level (water/sludge?) and shutting down the system.

I changed the nozzle, and brushed and vacuumed the boiler. The nozzle seemed to be a bit oily when I removed it.

Got a delivery of oil and shut down the furnace for 20mins when the truck came.

No problems Sunday or Monday but this morning, Tuesday, I have trace amounts of smoke and a fuel smell.

Would it be a oil drip problem that accumulates at night (low thermostat - furnace NOT off) and then 'pops' when the burner fires or something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd start by changing the filter & pump screen then flushing a saftey cycles worth of oil thru the nozzle assembly (less nozzle) & into a container before replacing the nozzle. You could very well have a crapped up fuel system.