heating a garage

Old 02-09-01, 10:08 AM
Visiting Guest
I have built a 30x40 ft garage with 10 ft ceilings; walls are insulated, but the attic is not yet; but want to know what kind of heating sytems fans or blowers would be the most efficient for this area. electric or propane heat would be what I am looking at. Could someone help with some advice; first time here at this site. thanks!

Old 02-09-01, 03:27 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
The install

For electric will cost you less.I am going with the idea that you or someone has run a 100 amp panel to garage already.This you would need for lights, outlets and electrical heat.What was run to the garage for power?If you install propane the heating unit HAS to be a minimum of 18" off the floor and 18" from any car in the garage.Electric heat is low or no maintence.If you go with electric a simple floor fan will circulate air.PDF

Old 02-11-01, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Lightbulb A couple of thoughts on propane.

twostory:
You do not state where you are located.
The main advantage of a propane forced air furnace in an area that experiences very cold temperatures, is that if you don't heat the garage all the time, a typically sized furnace is fairly fast at warming up the space.
Propane prices in my part of north central Canada have almost doubled in the last year or so, making propane unattractive.
I can't find my propane code book but the Canadian Code for Natural Gas allows for an 18" clearance above the floor for a parking garage, but requires a 4 1/2 foot clearance for a repair garage (commercial or residential). Our inspectors suggest that even an oil change is considered a repair.
Better to be safe than sorry!
Cieling mounted unit heaters are usually installed around here for that reason.

GregH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: