Air Handler Control Problem

Old 05-07-13, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Handler Control Problem

Hello all.
I'm in Florida. My rental called me Saturday. The A/C won't shut off. Just the inside air handler, the outside unit shuts off as it should. I replaced the batteries in the thermostat (no change) about 5 hours later replaced the thermostat (got around to making a home depot run). hooked it all up according to wiring diagram. Still no good.

I can disconnect all wires from the control panel/thermostat & the air handler still stays on. The only way to "off" it is to hit the breaker.

1. The thermostat is in auto NOT on
2. traced all the wires to the A/c (short 15' wire from closet to attic to controller) to crosses or animals eating it)
3. Tried 2 different thermostats (both have same result so don't think it's that)
4. blows cold, just won't stop ad set temp on the thermostat
5. NEVER shuts off unless you do it at the breaker.

I'm leaning towards the fan relay but wanted ideas.

It's an American Standard TWV030B140A1

I can't seem to find any diagrams for it. It was manufactured in 1993.

Last edited by GregH; 05-07-13 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-13, 03:07 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If there are no problems with the interconnecting wires then fan relay is a good guess. Can you identify the fan relay on the control board? If yes, then try whacking it smartly with a screwdriver handle. Don't hit it really hard, just a smart thwack. This MAY cause the relay to release if it is stuck. If it does release don't be surprised if it sticks again. Generally the relay cannot be replaced without voiding the UL listing on the board or furnace so a new circuit board is needed.

Old 05-07-13, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Service facts with schematic

The superseded part info for the fan relay control is :
Part Item Number RLY02807
Description RELAY; TIME DELAY, POWER POLE-7 FLA, 36 RLA AT 240VAC, PILOT POLE-25 VA AT 24 VAC, 2 SEC ON-DELAY (INCLUDES PC BOARD)

However, it is a pain to wire up as the replacement part is NOTHING like the original.... The original part is still available and it is a Honeywell ST82D1004 Time Delay Relay.