Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

??Further damage while furnace exhaust running non stop until tech is available?

??Further damage while furnace exhaust running non stop until tech is available?

Old 06-15-13, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We noticed today while out on the patio the furnace exhaust was running. Upon checking the furnace unit, the red light is on and fan is running constantly. We checked all the Auto and ON switches on the thermostats and they were on Auto. While troubleshooting, we turned the heater on and the constant red indicator light blinked twice listing error as pressure switch stuck closed. We have a tech coming on Monday (today is Saturday). My question concerns damage to any of the equipment from this fan running constantly. Should we shut the entire system off at any times of the day to prevent further damage?
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-13, 06:18 PM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
If you don't need heat then shut off the power to the furnace.

Old 06-16-13, 07:47 AM
i have my fan running 24/7 to circulate the air inside my 2 story house. So if you dont hear any noises from the furnace, i guess you should be ok with the fan running all the time.

Old 06-16-13, 07:37 PM
it is fine, it is very likely that you need a new control board.... Good thing you caught it now instead of it running all summer long