house hade puffback before I got it

Old 08-06-13, 07:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
house hade puffback before I got it

I had found out before I purchased my house that it had a puffback (oil furnace with power vent). I have had the house for 1 heating season and the house is about 12 years old. From what I understand, it had put black soot throughout the house. Was all cleaned before I got it yet I repainted anyways because I had still seen black around vents etc. I had a furnace company come in and check the ductwork and clean the furnace. They checked it out and said the ducts were clean and the furnace was fine. I did determine there was an insurance claim to have the house repaired from the puff back. Anyways, I am trying to determine how I can protect myself from ever having this happen to me. I just could not imagine having this happen and getting black soot throught my entire house. Will having my furnace serviced before each heating season protet me from this or are there other precautions I can take?

From what I understand, this can happend from dirty oil or excessive oil lying in the the combustion chamber and "exploding" when the furnace start. I have also heard the power vent could stop running yet the furnace does not know and would not shut down.

Since this happended to the previous homeowner, I have concerns. My house interior is white from my repainting so I am also worried there could be leftover black stuff that would eventually make my what walls start to stain. I did not notice anything after this past heating season.

Any advise to avoid this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-13, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Having it serviced annually would be a good idea regardless... but it will not GUARANTEE it won't ever happen even if you have it serviced. I don't work on a whole lot of oil furnaces (most have been changed over to propane or NG in my area). The oil guys will be along sometime and can give you some better help.

Old 08-07-13, 09:17 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If having it serviced does not insure a puffback, what does?

Old 08-07-13, 12:28 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Nothing guarantees it.... things happen.....

Old 08-14-13, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Chances are this power venter was not installed properly. There needs to be a draft proving switch in the system which prevents the burner from firing if there is not enough draft.
The term "puffback" is an old term used to describe late ignition in conjunction with an excessive amount of soot being present & blown out into the space. I've seen many plugged furnaces & boilers but in 25+ years of servicing oil fired equipment, I've seen only one true puffback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: