On Demand electrical water heater

Old 08-18-13, 12:53 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On Demand electrical water heater

I would like to replace my summer-winter oil burner/water heater with an on-demand electric water heater. Burning oil in summer to maintain water at 100+ degrees when it is not in use most of the day/night just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, I have a 10K Photovoltaic (Solar) system to help me with the water heating when I do use it.
Make sense? Suggestions on models/where to buy/ hook up problems, anything else I should know about?

Old 08-18-13, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What source will you use to power your new water heater..... electric or propane ?

These units use a tremendous amount of electric. Sometimes to the point where the panel/service needs to be increased in size.

Old 08-18-13, 02:16 PM
P
electric. I have a 10K PV system providing most of my electricity. Although surges, as I expect an on-demand system would make, are backed by my electric service provider, over a year, those surges are simply subtracted from my reserve energy bank I build throughout the year with the provider.

I guess my question(s) is,
1. Would I have to buy a new boiler for heating alone purposes
2. Can I rig an "A-B switch" to simply divert water from my boiler during the summer
3. How else can I handle this situation...or is it possible at all?

It's seems like such a waste of my potential to be heating water with oil during the summer, when use is minimal and I have a PV system for my electricity.

Old 08-18-13, 03:28 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have a 10K PV system providing most of my electricity.
41 amps won't even power a small whole house point of uses WH. They start at 60 amps and most are 120 amps. How many persons in the house? How many bathrooms? What size main breaker on your main provider panel.

Old 08-18-13, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
1) No. You should be able to just keep using the existing boiler for your heat in winter.

2) Not sure I understand. I thought you want to eliminate the oil boiler for your hot water?

3) Have you looked into solar water heating? It might be an option in the summer months and then just switch back to the existing system in the colder months with some valves.

Old 08-21-13, 10:48 AM
T
See my thread.. ask if there's something missing.. I think I've sort of updated.. I found amazon reviews pretty helpful..

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...pick-unit.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: