1965 Peerless Gas Furnace - Save Money With New One?

Old 08-22-13, 12:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 1965 Peerless Gas Furnace - Save Money With New One?

Hi,

I recently purchased a home and it has the original 1965 Peerless gas furnace that is still in working condition.

However, I'm seeing if its worth replacing this one with a new more energy efficient gas furnace.

Would I save money in the long run by replacing this old furnace for a new one? Are there any tax credits I would receive for doing this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 09:05 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Your furnace is 48 years old, that is twice the expected life and then some. It probably has a standing (continuously burning) pilot light and an atmospheric burner. If you could do an AFUE test on it in the field it would probably come out as around 55% efficient at best. It is also likely that it is at least twice as large as necessary, more than that if any energy efficiency measures have been installed since the house was built.

If you have any energy saving projects in mind, more insulation, air sealing, weatherstripping, new windows and the like then you should do them and then do a complete heat-loss calculation on the house. Size the new furnace according to the heat loss and and you will be far better off.

Post back if you have more questions.

Added. You wrote "furnace" but the brand Peerless is more often ascribed to a boiler. A furnace heats air and distributes it via ducts. A boiler heats water and distributes the heat via pipes and radiators or baseboard convectors. Which do you have?

Old 08-23-13, 02:10 PM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
If the furnace is still safe to use (ie not putting out co, no cracks in heat exchanger), keep it for the time being and focus on reducing heat loss. (much easier said than done, i know)

You could install a large high efficiency furnace and still end up with high gas bills if the home is leaky or poorly insulated.

The new furnaces require 30-50% greater airflow (for the same heating capacity) than your old clunker, so you may not be able to have the same size installed on your existing duct system.

*Not that u would want that, because they used to believe that bigger is better; the reality is the oversizing reduces lifespan, fuel efficiency, comfort.