Hot water heaters

Old 02-18-01, 10:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, we have just got a new hot water heater. We had a plumber install it. We had a 40 gallon hot water heater and the water would get cold when I took a shower. I take long showers but I couldn't finish doing what I needed to do in the shower without getting cold water. I do take long showers but I thought for sure with our new heater with 52 gallons would fix all of the cold water problems but it still gets cold around the same time. Could you please help me.

Paris, Tx.

Old 02-19-01, 03:14 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Do you have

a gas or electric HWH?If it is gas you can turn the tstat up.Position "A" is usually the coldest.Set it up to "B",try it.If need be you can increase setting further.If electrical settings can also be increased.If all else fails call the installer up and say "Whasup!!!".Try my suggestions first.PDF

Old 02-22-01, 07:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to thank you so much for replying. I thought it would take some time to hear from someone. My husband will check it out.

Thank You,
"Water Woman"

Old 02-22-01, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Paris, TX? (I'm originally from Gladewater. Mom and sis now live in Galveston.)
Anyway, back to the hot water.
A water heater will heat only 70% of its capacity to the set temperature, such as 140 degrees. 52g x 70% = 36.4g.
The higher you set it, the less volume it will use to mix to the desired temp in your shower, which will make it last longer.
If you have small children, however, it is not recommended to set the heater above 110 or 120 max. Many electric heaters come factory set at these lower temps, and you have to turn them up.
Most dishwasher detergents do best at 140 (which is where I set my electric). Plenty of hot water for showers.
If your's is electric, take the side covers off the upper and lower thermostats, and re-set both by hand or screwdriver to the same desired temp.
Good Luck!

Old 02-25-01, 09:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you Old Guy, I have a couple of more questions but will get back intouch with you.

Old 02-26-01, 02:13 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Please check CDC web site

I read a blurb a few years back from the Center for Disease Control.It mention the fact that water heaters set too low are a prime resting site for all kinds of bacteria and such.I do not know the web site.I'm sure a little surfing could get you there.PDF

Old 02-27-01, 01:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Shower Going Cold

Old Guy:

Where would I find the "upper" tstat? I have changed the "lower" one, but in the Owner's Manual I only saw one listed. My water heater is gas and was just installed two weeks ago although its an apartment and, therefore, I don't remember the make.....I want to say Bradford & White

Old 02-27-01, 02:12 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Tstat

At the bottom of the water should be a panel or cover.When you remove it you should see a dial.Probably labeled A thru D.If it is set at A set it to B+,give it a couple days and see if that is okay with you.If your unit is a power vented unit SHUT POWER OFF before removing any panel.If all else fails call the company who did the install and have them come out at no charge to explain operation.PDF

Old 02-27-01, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Pamalerf,
I was referring to an electric water heater upper tstat.
Gas only has the one lower tstat, as PDF said.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: