Lennox G61MPVT stopped working.

Old 09-02-13, 06:24 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox G61MPVT stopped working.

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here. I don't know the correct terminology to describe the various parts of my heater, but I am a qualified car mechanic, so have some tech skills. Here in Aus we don't get as cold as you guys. We see snow maybe 2 or 3 days in a year, but summer temps can be well over 100. Still, it gets cold enough to want heating in winter!
Yesterday our heating was fine, but after a brief power out the system has stopped working. It is a Lennox, model number according to the sticker isG61MPVT-60C-090-01. The stat is ComfortSense 3000 series, model 51M35.
Symptoms are; the small fan, I assume it's some sort of draught fan for ignition, is running, but ignition is not occurring. From reading this forum I discovered the LED diagnosis. Mine is flashing 2 then 3. The info on the door says that this means a blocked exhaust or inlet or condensate tube. I've tried to find anything blocked but nothing obvious seems to be. I'm not sure how far I can go before I need the "$175 before I look" man to come.
The system was installed in March 2007, and has been trouble free apart from a faulty SignatureStat a few years back.
Can anyone help?

Old 09-02-13, 06:42 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Look for a pressure switch near the induced draft fan. The switch will be about 3 to 3-1/2 inches in diameter. There will be a synthetic rubber hose from the switch to the housing of the draft fan. Remove that hose and make sure it is clear. Then, using a succession of sizes, run a drill bit through the hose nipple on the draft fan housing until you know it is clear. Replace the hose and try the furnace.

Post back if that doesn't work.

Old 09-02-13, 07:03 PM
G
Thanks, Furd. Under the house I go.

Old 09-02-13, 07:46 PM
G
Name:  2013-09-03 12.11.47.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  35.3 KBName:  2013-09-03 12.11.38.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  37.3 KB

Are these what you mean? There are 4 of them.

Old 09-02-13, 08:02 PM
G
All the hoses and nipples appear to be completely clear, although I did get a tiny bit of water out of the bottom one.
I forgot to say that the diagnosis chart says also Low pressure switch fail-open., so I guess you're on the right track. For testing purposes only, is it possible to bridge these switches? I assume they don't operate at mains voltage. (240v AC here)

Old 09-02-13, 08:49 PM
G
Ok. I decided to bridge the wires on the switches one by one. The last one I tried, the bottom left in the pic, fired the heater up, so I decided to pay a little more attention to the nipples. They still seemed clear, but the unit is working. Thank you Furd for your response. I think I know where to look now if it stops again.

Old 09-02-13, 11:03 PM
F
I've never seen one with four pressure switches. I hope that you only bridged the terminals for testing purposes and removed the bridge after testing. Those pressure switches are safety devices and bridging them defeats their purpose.

Old 09-03-13, 06:18 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The pressure switch may not be bad - there could be an underlying problem which is causing it not to close.

Don't run the furnace with a pressure switch bypassed; you're literally playing with fire.

Old 09-03-13, 09:07 PM
G
No, it was just an isolation exercise. I assume that I may have not cleaned the hose/nipple properly os something. A second try didn't seem to unblock anything, but it is working now.

Old 09-03-13, 09:10 PM
G
Thanks, Muggle. No, it was a bridge only for long enough to see the burners kick in. That showed me which switch to focus on.

I have already had a one house fire in my life, and that was more than enough.

Old 09-03-13, 09:13 PM
G
The four switches may be a local, as in Australia, requirement I suppose. It's like that here.

Old 09-03-13, 10:21 PM
F
I have a Lennox G60DFV that was installed in 2005. I received a free tune-up a year later as part of the installation package. A couple of months after the tune-up the furnace would not light, just sit with the induced draft fan running. I did some checking and found the corroded nipple I mentioned earlier. After cleaning it ran fine for another few months and then the same thing. This time rather than tear half the furnace apart I just ran the drill bit(s) down the nipple. It has been fine ever since.

Old 09-11-13, 09:57 PM
G
No such luck here. The furnace worked for a week and then stopped again. I bought a new switch and it's going fine again. Touch wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: