Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Day and Night Gas furnace blower fan keeps running without no heat or pilot

Old 09-08-13, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a Day and Night gas furnace that needs some help to figure out. The heater only blows air and no heat nor pilot light. I can smell the gas when I follow the lighting instructions. It says to turn the gas controller to "on" position and apply electric power by plugging in the power cord. The instructions says to not light the pilot manually since its turn on when heat is require.

Once I do that, the blower fan blows but no pilot flame lite or heat. The programmable thermostat is set to Heat and ON position. Since there was no flame and I smell the gas, I turn off the gas supply and unplug the power cord.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what I should try next to see what the problem is. The model number is 376BAW036055, and it's a Day and Night, BDP Carrier build in 1983.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll want to put your thermostat into auto instead of fan on.

Try that and then light the pilot.

Old 09-08-13, 04:32 PM
Thanks PJmax, yes I tried that as well but it didn't work. Should I let it run longer, in other words. When I put the gas controller to the "ON" position, I can smell the gas but the blower fan comes on when apply power. Not sure if that's normal since it's probably feeding gas to the pilot flame?

Thanks

Old 09-09-13, 08:12 AM
There are four to have continuos fan and no heat. 1- bad transformer 2- open limit/rollout switch 3- open fuse link 4- bad board. Does this furnace use a 3wire pilot or a thermocouple. Something doesn't seems right since you mentioned gas smell also.

Old 09-10-13, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll try to take some pictures tonight of what I'm seeing.

As for the gas smell, could that be for the pilot? I follow the instructions on lighting the pilot (its one of those automatic light unit) but the pilot does not light up.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-13, 09:52 PM
Here are some pictures of the furnace.

Name:  heater_2.jpg
Views: 9002
Size:  20.9 KBName:  heater_3.jpg
Views: 9202
Size:  25.5 KBName:  heater_4.jpg
Views: 9481
Size:  26.2 KB

MBK3, if possible, can you please give me some additional information on how to trouble per your list starting with the transformer. I'm not sure which one is the transformer.

Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by pl2828; 09-10-13 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update pictures
Old 09-13-13, 12:47 PM
To locate the transformer open the blower compartment. You will notice an electronic board. Find the the two terminals marked "sec 1 and 2, follow those wires back and you have found the transformer. Take a voltage read at those terminals. If I remember correctly they are blue and yellow. Be sure the blower door switch is closed when taking volt reads.
Where do you live in California

Old 09-13-13, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Ok......we need to take a step back here.

When you put the thermostat to AUTO and turned off the thermostat (no heat or cool) did the fan still run ?

In your first post you say you are trying to light the pilot but then you said the manual says not to light the pilot as it's automatic. So.....why are you trying to light the pilot ?

You may have a furnace that lights the pilot and then lights the main burner from the pilot.

In the picture below I've highlighted the draft inducer blower. That's not the fan you are talking about...is it ?

Name:  jj.jpg
Views: 15343
Size:  22.2 KB

Please post the model number for your furnace.

Old 09-13-13, 08:30 PM
The picture shows a 3 wire pilot.

Old 09-14-13, 10:57 AM
Do you know for sure the thermostat is calling for heat? On my thermostat when it goes from no heat to heat I hear a click when the relay trips. Can you hear the gas valve in the furnace open, and maybe even immediately close? You may be able to remove the thermostat from thee wall and test it with a voltmeter to make sure it is calling for heat.

Does your thermostat have a battery? If it does replace it with a fresh one you now is good.

How does your pilot light. For example if it has a sparker then you should see it trying to light the pilot by sparking.

In general what noises do you hear the furnace making?

Old 10-15-13, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the great comments and apologize for not getting back to you all sooner.

I live in Southern California and the model number is 376BAW036055, and it's a Day and Night, BDP Carrier build in 1983.

Currently there is no pilot light and I follow the instructions to light it. I originally thought it was a auto light as well but from the reading the instructions, it looks like the pilot is manual lite. I can take a picture of the instructions tonight.

To answer PJMax questions:

When you put the thermostat to AUTO and turned off the thermostat (no heat or cool) did the fan still run ?
=> Yes, even with the Thermostat set to "OFF" position, as soon as I plug the power in the furnace, the blower fan kicks in.

Old 10-15-13, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First, you have a Carrier three wire pilot that is lit by a spark each time the thermostat calls for heat.

Carrier furnaces of this model run the fan that circulates air around the house all the time UNLESS a relay is energized that shuts off the fan.

Very likely that relay isn't energized because the 24 VAC power to energize it is not present. Use a multimeter to measure the voltage between the R and and C terminals while the fan is running. If the voltage is zero, that's the problem and it will take some additional troubleshooting to isolate the specific problem.

If you get 24 VAC between R and C, then that isn't the problem.