Is this a resonable estimate?

Old 09-25-13, 05:42 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Is this a resonable estimate?

I just received a quote for a new 97% efficient, 100,000 btu furnace and install for $4,700. This INCLUDES running 2 new 2 inch PCV pipes up through my garage and on to the roof. Install includes the pipes and running them through and painting them on the outside. I asked for that additional info to FIX the mess that a lame contractor did on this house before I bought it. See this discussion--> http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...ml#post2147625

The installer said the new furnace is the same as a Carrier, but just not with the actual name Carrier on it. Eh???

I thought that price was high, but honestly don't know what to compare it to. We live in Utah. Our current furnace is 13 years old. It works fine but is improperly ventilated, as noted in the link above. He quoted me $650 to move our ventilation up and out through my garage to the roof.

So in considering that fix, I though it might just be time to replace my old furnace. It is a GMPN100 that is 12 years old. I'm not sure of its efficiency.

So again, thoughts on that quote? Is it unreasonably high?

Old 09-26-13, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Bryant is the same as Carrier. Payne is their cheaper line and ICP is owned by Carrier (but I wouldn't say that it is that same as Carrier).

The quality of your installation is very important with a new furnace. If you get 3 quotes and one is half the price of the other 2, you might get what you paid for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: