Colman Evcon Presidential - Pilot Light Not Staying Lit

Old 10-05-13, 07:09 PM
Question Colman Evcon Presidential - Pilot Light Not Staying Lit

I have a Colman Evcon Presidential for my little manufactured home, but it's not working. I will turn the switch over to "Pilot" and hold it there while I light the pilot light in the back. I will hold there for about a minute and slide it over to "Set". I will leave it for a few minutes and the pilot light will still be lit. Here's the annoying part; when I turn the switch over to "On" the pilot light instantly goes out. We had the Thermocouple replaced a little over a year ago, but it was doing the same thing before we got the replacement. We had someone over recently, but I got the feeling that he was just giving me the run-around and wasn't being truthful with the solution to the problem because we have a 2-year warranty on the Thermocouple, and of course, they wouldn't want to switch it out with a new one. What kind of problem does this sound like and what can I do to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-13, 08:12 PM
Thermocouples don't go bad that often. What color is your pilot light flame? The flame should be blue with a yellow tip and strong enough to cover about 1/2 inch at the end of the thermocouple tip. If the pilot light is on but the flame is a weak yellow flame, it will not get hot enough to heat the thermocouple to the proper temperature set point required to allow the gas valve to open. The usual cause of a yellow flame is that the pilot burner orifice is dirty and needs to be cleaned. That involves removing the brass ferrule that holds the pilot tubing in the pilot burner with a 7/16" wrench, which allows the pilot orifice to be removed. Some pilot orifices can be cleaned with a wire from pulled from a wire brush. Others may need to be blown out with some compressed air or even replaced if the hole is too small and can't be properly cleaned. I would try to clean the orifice first and if that didn't work I would change the thermocouple.