Black flywheel not spinning Carrier Weathermaker 8000TS

Old 10-07-13, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black flywheel not spinning Carrier Weathermaker 8000TS

I was cleaning out the dust inside my furnace prior to restarting it for the fall and in the process brushed up against the flywheel with my dust cleaning rag a few times.

This spun the flywheel a few times without the furnace being turned on.

When I turned on the furnace, I noticed that the flywheel no longer moved, but heat was being distributed throughout the house with no problems.

Is the flywheel permanently damaged from that slight movement without the furnace being turned on?

See image below-flywheel is large black circular object in the upper left corner:

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a fan for cooling the draft inducer blower motor. If you are getting heat then that inducer blower is running but maybe that black fan piece is cracked and not fitting tightly on the motor shaft.

Old 10-08-13, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black plastic fan is on one end of a shaft. The fan that circulates air inside the furnace for the gas to burn is on the other end of that shaft.

The shaft MUST turn for the gas to burn properly and safely.

It is VERY unlikely that your movement of the fan would cause a problem by itself.

When the thermostat calls for heat, one of the first things that should happen is that that inducer motor should be energized and come up to speed. A pressure switch tests to see if it has come up to speed and should not fire up the burners unless it has come up to speed.

If your description of what is happening is accurate, the inducer motor isn't turning on properly but the pressure switch isn't detecting that failure, and is still turning the burners on. That woud be a dangerous condition that needs to be inspected and corrected before operating the furnace.