Cleaning/maintencance of a Carrier gas furnace

Old 10-11-13, 07:04 PM
Cleaning/maintencance of a Carrier gas furnace

I tried to find a posted thread for this figuring it would be pretty common but no luck. Well decided to clean my Carrier gas furnace. Its about 5 years old and its never been cleaned. It runs fine as far as I can see but I know it eventually has to be cleaned/maintained. I do change the filter religiously though.

So what are the basic steps to clean a gas furnace? What should I take into consideration as far as the gas line, external vent etc....? I have a model # if need be. If you have any good links that is appreciated also.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-13, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In general gas furnaces require little cleaning other than the burners (especially if the environment in which the furnace is installed is damp) & the condensate system if the furnace vents with plastic pipe. The single most important thing is combustion testing to insure excess CO is not being produced.

Old 10-15-13, 01:29 PM
Is it a difficult task to clean the burners? I know I can access relatively easily through the cabinet door. How do you clean the burners? Wire brush?

Old 10-15-13, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The problem is that while most modern gas furnaces don't need a lot of cleaning, they really ought to be carefully inspected for problems. There are a wide variety of things that could be a problem which an untrained person will not recognize.

Old 10-16-13, 05:14 PM
Do you have a ceramic chimney flue? If so debris will collect at the bottom eventually blocking the flue. Once you remove the flue you can check that the chimney is clear with a mirror or even a camera phone. It may be easier to check the chimney from a flue connected to a water heater if that is the case with you.

The filter is obvious.

You might make a video with sound of the furnace and hold on to it. 10 years from now when it is not working quite right it will help you.