nozzle for carrier furnace question.

Old 10-13-13, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nozzle for carrier furnace question.

I have a carrier 58VMR120 furnace with a Riello F5-40 series burner. It is 119,000BTU. The Riello book says to use OEM recommendations on burner setup. The carrier book says that nozzle is Delavan 0.75-70B (which is solid core nozzle) The one that is in there-put in by tech 2 years ago-is 0.75-60W (all purpose). I didn't change it last year and it ran fine but figured should change it before heating season starts. Now the books say that these are starting points and the burner must be properly set up using proper combustion testing equipment. when the tech installed nozzle, he did have testing equipment. so do I just replace the nozzle with the one that is currently in it? Or does the burner need to be tested each time you are installing new nozzle?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-13, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Anytime work is done on the burner which could affect combustion, test instruments should be used. Many times they are not. If your tech did or not is hard to tell.
One strong clue to not having done any testing is the lack of a test hole in the vent pipe near the furnace. This hole would be about 1/4 to 3/8" in diameter & may or may not be sealed or plugged.

Old 10-14-13, 04:39 PM
yes Grady, there is a test hole. I was there when he was doing the work. The furnace was about 2 years old at time and I just never had confidence that original installer took the time to set it up and did all the testing (I know after initial set up there was no test hole and after inquiry at some point they came back out and did more work and there was test hole). so I had a different company come in and perform their tune up (new nozzle, filter, adjust electrodes) and I am pretty sure he did the tests because I remember telling him about other company and they didn't seem to know how to work on the riello burner and they wired the power ventor wrong. it only came on once the furnace heated up and tripped the switch that lets ventor run after furnace shut off for period to get rid off all gases before shutting off. They had bypassed a principal safety circuit that is supposed to prevent the furnace from firing until the ventor creates a draft and the draft then closes a switch which lets call for heat get through to light furnace. so no power ventor equals furnace doesn't start for safety. Then when told boss about this he didn't believe me and I had to show him and I ended up re-wiring it myself. It would really stink up my house they way they had it cause for first few minutes the power ventor wasn't on! That could have been disasterous? the new guy said he was very familiar with riello and power venting. So my question is, assuming he set it up and did all the tests at the time and found combustion was fine with the current nozzle, can I put new nozzle with same numbers in it, check electrodes, and be done? OR every year when you replace nozzle, even if the same numbers, do you need to do the combustion tests again?

Old 10-15-13, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What you do to your furnace is your business but combustion tests SHOULD be done.
I know lots of so called professionals who never perform combustion testing. Their justification is "I didn't change anything" or "I can tell by looking at the fire". My reply to such comments are "BULLCRAP". In my opinion, if it cost you $100 or so once a year to have the testing done, it's worth it. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 10-15-13, 07:49 PM
I am going to call the company that tuned it last time and ask if they do testing if they tuned it again or if they just change nozzle, filter and check/adjust electrodes. While I would be willing to pay if the tune up included testing, I certainly don't want to pay them to just change the parts when I can do that myself. thanks. by the way, the electronic air shutter went out again! It has been through 2 now. I just bypassed it end of last season. You helped me before when I was looking for a new one about 2 years ago.

Old 10-15-13, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't waste my money on a new electronic air shutter. In fact, I doubt they are even still available.

Old 10-15-13, 08:19 PM
haven't checked lately but they were still available the end of last season when it went out. I think my furnace is under warranty for about a month more. If so, maybe I can get a new one for free like last time. If I can't get it for free then I think I'll just keep my jumper wire in place.

Old 10-15-13, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can get it for free, go for it.