Furnace won't turn on.

Old 10-13-13, 05:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace won't turn on.

I have a Day & Night gas furnace which will not turn on. It's like there is no power at all. I had the same problem a few years ago and the service man who came out said it was a switch or relay that had to be reset but he didn't show me where it was. I have cycled the circuit breaker off and on. I took the covers off the furnace and the only switch I can find pops out when I remove the cover. I assume its a safety interlock. When that switch is pushed in a tiny red light starts to blink behind a plastic opening in the cover. The furnace is in the attic and over ten years old.

Old 10-13-13, 06:01 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The flashing red light is trying to tell you something.

Please let us know the model of the furnace and also the red light blinking sequence.

Old 10-14-13, 11:12 AM
R
i can't find a model #. The red light has 2 very quick blinks followed by 4 slower blinks.

Old 10-14-13, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check your low voltage fuse to see if it has blown. If it has blown you can replace it to see if it blows again. If so, you will need to locate the short in the low voltage control wiring. The model number of the unit is normally pasted on the inside of one of the access panels. Having the model number would greatly help to assist you better. Turn off power to the furnace before touching any wiring or the fuse.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-14-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58mvp-6sm.pdf

See page 19-20

There is an automobile style fuse on the circuit board that is probably open, usually 3 amp. Check that first.

If the fuse is open, look for a short to ground on the thermostat wire. Rather often, the thermostat wire gets cut on sheet metal ductwork, which will cause a short and the fuse to blow.

Old 10-14-13, 01:41 PM
R
I found a 4 amp fuse and changed it out with one from my car. It Works!! Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: