Trane XL 80 one burner not lighting

Old 10-14-13, 09:12 PM
Trane XL 80 one burner not lighting

I have a Trane XL 80 two stage furnace with 3 burners. It was installed in 1998. Roughly every 15th lighting cycle, the burner that is next to the ignitor fails to light. If I shut down and restart, typically it will light. Sometimes when it won't light I can smell gas near the furnace, other times I don't. The main control board on this furnace was replaced last winter, cost way to much. The furnace will continue to run despite this burner not lighting. I recently replaced the ignitor. Prior to last winter this furnace never had one problem. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The burners need to be taken out and cleaned with a wire brush.

There are "wings" called carry over ports on the sides of the burners. When the burners are lit, these wings ignite and carry the flame over from burner to burner. A little rust, dirt or grit is what usually plugs up this part of the burner and prevents the burners from lighting up reliably.

If you look carefully, you can observe the process of the burners lighting.

You can try using a pair of pliars or other such object to hammer with moderate force on the burners, which may dislodge the grit and cause the burners to light properly, for a while anyway. The best solution is to remove the burners and clean them thoroughly.

Old 10-18-13, 12:05 PM
thanks

thanks, I just took out the burners and cleaned as you suggested and the furnace lights up much more quickly now. I was surprised at how easy it was. thanks again