"Open limit" preventing my furnace from staying on

Old 10-16-13, 11:28 PM
Question "Open limit" preventing my furnace from staying on

In my house I have a York Diamond 80 furnace, model number P2MPD14N08001D. Two days ago I turned on the heater at the thermostat and the furnace kicked on, started blowing air and then turned off after about two minutes. After doing this several times I opened the furnace up and noticed that the indicator light was flashing. I looked up the code and it says it has a "open limit". I replaced the primary limit switch, reset the two auxiliary limit switches located above the blower and restored power to the unit. It turned on as it was supposed to but kicked itself back off about five minutes later and gave the same "open limit" code as before. Any ideas why or what I can try to do next to remedy the problem?

Last edited by JCBHARDIN; 10-16-13 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Incorrect model number on original post
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-13, 11:33 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You can trip a high heat limit with poor airflow or dirty air filter.

Old 10-16-13, 11:42 PM
The current air filter is just over two weeks old and is still extremely clean. Is there anything else that can cause poor airflow?

Old 10-17-13, 05:37 AM
Poor air flow can also be caused by a dirty evaporator coil, closed air vents, blocked or restricted return air, inadequate return air, collapsed ducts, leaking ducts, and using filters that are too dense.

Old 10-17-13, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are using pleated filters, especially the ultra filtering ones, take it out & get a cheap glass fiber filter. Test to see if the problem goes away.