Carrier Weathermaker 58SXC100-JG Intermittent Heat

Old 10-19-13, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Weathermaker 58SXC100-JG Intermittent Heat

Several days ago our furnace was not heating. I talked to a few co-workers and they immediately identified the igniter, so a new igniter went in. The furnace started working again, but only for a few days.

A few days went by and it stopped working again... I pulled the lower cover and the LED flashed code 12 during start up for heat, followed by code 31 as the inducer motor starts up and runs. This time no igniter glow.

Code 31 equates to a pressure switch, so a new pressure switch went in today. Started up the furnace again code 12 when the blower fan kicks on, followed by code 31 with the inducer and again no igniter glow.

So I checked on here and found a thread about the condensers cans and drain lines getting all clogged up. I pulled my condenser and sure enough it had a bunch of gunk in there. Got it all cleaned up and back together, and still had a code 31 with no igniter glow.

Checked this site again and found another thread about the ventilation ducts being blocked. Kicked the furnace on and ran outside to check my 2 pipes. One was blowing air and the other was sucking air. Neither was plugged up by anything and the furnace still wasn't running.

Next just out of curiosity I disconnected the PVC pipe to the inducer and just let it suck ambient air. This time the igniter plug glowed and the heat kicked on. I slipped the PVC pipe back onto the inducer and everything is working fine, at least for now.

To recap: I have a new igniter, pressure switch, clean condenser, & the ventilation pipes are not blocked. The only time I can get the furnace to provide heat is by disconnecting the PVC pipe to the inducer during start up.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-13, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The pressure switch carefully monitors the draft and pressure conditions. All the lines must be clean.

Did you also check the small rubber lines that connect to the pressure switch(es). Check the actual fittings at the blower to make sure they are clean too.

Old 10-20-13, 10:15 AM
Some of the Carrier/Bryant 90's have a screen at the intake side of the furnace. Leafs or moths can clog it enough where the pressure switch won't make.

Old 10-20-13, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I blew thru all the lines associated to the pressure switch before I bought the replacement.

Old 10-20-13, 09:02 PM
Tinmantu: can you explain more about the screen on the intake side? Are you referring to the intake pipe on the outside of the house, or the intake pipe attached to the top of my furnace?

Where in KS are you located? I used to live in Wichita for 20+ years.

Old 10-21-13, 08:37 AM
If you have one, it should be on the furnace itself where the pvc enters. As I recall it's not a fine screen. I live on the west end of Kansas. About an hour from the Colo. border. Nice short drive to get to the mountains.