Infinity ICS - Starts and then Quickly STOPS

Old 10-20-13, 05:55 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Infinity ICS - Starts and then Quickly STOPS

Hello, Thanks for your help!

I have an Infinity ICS - Model 58MVC060
It was installed in 2009 by the previous owner. We took ownership November 2012 and it ran well that winter and the next summer. It's been about a month since we've tried to use it for either heating or cooling. It would appear though that now that we're in heating mode there is a problem.

First thing I noticed was that the house was not getting warming to the the temperature set on the thermostat. So, after a day of this, I went and checked the air output from the vents. There was none. Then I went down and listened to the furnace. There was no noise at all. I pulled off the cover and noticed a flashing light (not knowing it was the status light or what to do with it, I knew it couldn't be good). I then used the troubleshooting guide in the manual to shut the power and the control switch to the off position and then turned them both back on. Here's what happened.
- The blower motor started (I was so excited and thought I fixed it)
- The gas lit and I could see the flame through the window
- The status light went solid
- I quickly ran upstairs to check the air flow from the vents... none.
- I went back downstairs and noticed that the furnace was off and the status light was blinking again. So I did the restart again.
- This time I stayed downstairs and watched the whole process (and learned a bit about status codes). Blower motor starts, flame starts, then after about 2 minutes, the blower motor starts to wind down and the whole system shuts down. I learned that the status code that was flashing was 41 - Blower Motor Fault. The system started to run again. Same thing. It all starts up and then it all shuts down and the status code that displays is 15.

I have these two documents to use as reference.

Manual

Service and Maintenance Procedures

My friend said that I should sand the thermostat probe.

The Service and Maintenance Procedures guide has some steps to follow. I think the place I'm supposed to start following is on page 19 (top middle 41 Blower Motor Fault).

Suggestions? If the suggestion is to follow the service and maintenance procedures guide, then I'll likely need some help with things like... where is PL13 and PL14 (I found the R thermostat connection) and then I'll need an better definition of "Does the blower wheel turn freely?" It clearly already turns as I stated earlier in this post. So what new information could I gather when I test to see "Does the blower wheel turn freely?"

Thanks again!

Old 10-20-13, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
where is PL13 and PL14
If you look at the top right section of figure 21 you will see Plug 13 and Plug 14. Plug 13 is a four circuit control connector for the blower motor (ECM) and Plug 14 is the five circuit power connector for the blower motor (ECM). In other words, they are the two connectors that plug into your blower motor.

So what new information could I gather when I test to see "Does the blower wheel turn freely?"
This is asking you to reach in where the blower wheel is and turn it by hand after you remove the R wire from the thermostat and the two plugs from the blower motor (ECM). That is too make sure the bearings are not seized or making noise.

It all starts up and then it all shuts down and the status code that displays is 15.
Code 15 is lockout of the blower motor because it didn't start up properly. I suggest you turn the power off to the unit and make sure both plugs are fully seated in the blower motor (ECM).

Old 10-21-13, 10:02 AM
B
Thanks for your reply. I'm at work now, so I won't have a chance to follow up until tonight, but I wanted to give you a bit of information and a correction before I get home.

I was WRONG! It wasn't the blower motor that was revving up when I turned the furnace on, it was the inducer motor. The blower motor does not engage at all.

I did have a chance to double check the seating of both the plugs and they seem solid.

I did have a chance to grab a hold of the blower wheel cage and give it a spin and it seems to be moving freely. I'll try again after removing the R wire and the two plugs from the blower motor.

I also had a chance last night before I read your response to try and use the A/C. The outside A/C unit started up, but the blower motor never engaged.

Thanks for the info on the location of PL13 and 14. I'm not used to looking at electrical diagrams, I was looking at the circuit board diagram. With your information (and a little research on how to use my multimeter), I should be able to work my way through the troubleshooting diagram tonight.

Steep learning curve for me, but it's fun every time I get myself back on the right path and thanks for helping with that.

I'll do as much as I can tonight and post results tonight.

Old 10-21-13, 10:32 AM
The blower motor itself does not usually fail. It is the control module for the motor that fails and many times it is a thermistor inside that module that needs to be replaced. I have read of many homeowners who replaced the thermistor and fixed the problem with the blower motor not starting.

Old 10-21-13, 04:02 PM
Received 50 Upvotes on 44 Posts
Your furnace should still be under warranty - call a carrier dealer.

If not, it would be wise to get a service plan since the ICS has expensive parts. (the inducer is also variable speed - slightly better fuel efficiency, but very high replacement cost)

Old 11-04-13, 01:22 PM
B
Fixed

Turns out it was the control module. I dug around and found the previous owners documentation of a warranty and it's been fixed! So far, no bill from the service company, so it seems as though whatever warranty they purchased covers parts and service hours.

Thanks all!

Old 11-04-13, 01:45 PM
Glad to hear you got it back up and running and thanks for letting us know the outcome. Nice to have that warranty!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: