Goodman gas furnace - burners do not light.

Old 10-21-13, 02:45 PM
Goodman gas furnace - burners do not light.

I have a 10 year old Goodman GMNTE060-3 gas furnace that I attempted to fire up foir the first time this fall - unsuccessfully.

The ignitor glows brightly for perhaps 10 seconds, but shuts down without the burners igniting. This repeats 3 times before quitting.

Gas supply is OK - range and BBQ both working fine.

I've attached a photo showing the ignitor glowing merrily if that is any help.

How do I troubleshoot this? I don't see any flashing light codes as mentioned in other similar threads.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-13, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have a pressure switch, some roll out switches, and a stack over temp switch in series with the 24VAC signal to your gas valve.

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 10-21-13, 04:31 PM
Hi. I do have a volt meter, but haven't ever used it.

I'd need to know the settings for the volt meter and the test locations...

Old 10-21-13, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could set your meter on a scale above 24VAC and put a lead on the blue wire at the gas valve and check each component on the purple wire back to the control board (when the ignitor is glowing) but, the safest way is to put your meter on continuity or ohms and disconnect power to your furnace then check across the rollout switches and stack overload switch individually. (again this would be the purple wire) The switch that displays O.L. or does not beep is your lock out.

The cause of the lockout will have to be addressed once you determine what is locked out.

This model doesn't have the pressure switch in series like the GMP furnace that I was thinking of but the pressure switch may still be the source of your lockout.

Even though it makes no sense to me, I believe it has been proven that this ignitor will still glow with a pressure switch lockout in a previous post. I would like to be incorrect in this. Pehaps I am thinking of the GMP.

Old 10-22-13, 04:20 PM
Update.

I had the furnace checked today. The tech. checked evrything out and determined that there was no power going from the control board to "low" on the gas valve, and said the control board needed to be replaced. There were signs that the board had suffered partial water immersion (must have been prior to our buying the house).

I was shocked when he quoted $725. to replace the board, as I had previously checked and found this board - B1809913S at GoodmanParts.net for $127.94.

If I label and photograph all the wiring on the current board, is there any reason I can't swap the boards out myself?

Old 10-22-13, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
You should be able to change it yourself. Make sure the power switch to the furnace is off first.

Is that replacement board the same part number of yours is it an updated/substituted board ?

Old 10-22-13, 07:05 PM
It's supposed to be the same part number according to the original parts diagram and the product description.

Old 10-22-13, 09:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope he proved that it wasn't a pressure switch, stack overtemp or rollout switch lockout before condemning the board.