Carrier 58SS won't stay on

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-21-13, 07:48 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58SS won't stay on

I have an older Carrier that has never had any problems.
Except for now. Super Saver 58SSB080

Turn thermostat on and I can hear the furnace kick on immediately and go through initial warm up procedure. Flames are strong.
After around 2 minutes, the blower fan kicks on as well and hot air is blowing out.

It continues to run for about 8-10 minutes. Everything seems perfect...

But then it shuts off and the flames go out, but then it lights right back up and blows out for one second and goes back off. It will repeat this until I turn it off.
I hear a lot of clicking during the cycling of on/off.

I have removed and cleaned the sensor with steel wool like every site suggests. I have blown out everything and made sure there is no debris anywhere.

I am still having a problem. It's staying lit for about 10 minutes and is running very strong so I don't think it has anything to do with the pilot. But I really have no idea on what to try next or what it could be. I appreciate any thoughts.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-21-13, 08:20 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 52,668
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you serviced the air filter(s) recently ?
How is the air flow coming out of the vents ?
 
  #3  
Old 10-21-13, 08:44 PM
user 10's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NA
Posts: 1,929
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
do you own a multi-meter and know how to use it?

No...Do as PJmax suggested. If filter is clean, call a tech.

Yes...post back for more info.
 
  #4  
Old 10-21-13, 08:48 PM
user 10's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NA
Posts: 1,929
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
Spec sheets: http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/58ss-1p.pdf

Printed in 1981.

Needless to say, it's pretty old and you should get the heat exchanger inspected before doing any repairs.

Edit: similar issue - Carrier 58SSB Gas Problems - Pilot Assembly - YouTube
Three wire pilot info - 394GAW / 58GS Sequence of operation. - YouTube
 

Last edited by user 10; 10-21-13 at 11:38 PM.
  #5  
Old 10-22-13, 12:06 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 317
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this is the one with the metal plate instead of a thermocouple then you can try to clean it, but I've found about 75% of the time it's the pilot assy needs replacing. Have found the other 25% to be a faulty gas valve. If yours isn't like that, disregard this post. If it is, observing the pilot on good start-up you will most likely see the pilot flutter and not touching the strip like it was before. This is what causes the erratic behavior.
 
  #6  
Old 10-22-13, 07:17 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the filter has been cleaned and the airflow seems to be as normal coming out of the vents.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: