Amstrong Ultra SX90 Inducer motor problem

Old 10-24-13, 12:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amstrong Ultra SX90 Inducer motor problem

Great forum.. !!

I have a 7 year old Armstrong Ultra sx90 furnace....went to turn it on the other day and nothing happened. Waited a few minutes and went to check it...the motor on the inducer fan ( not sure if thats right) was humming and getting warm. I gave it a jump start ...spun the fan in the rear a bit and it ran fine for a few cycles . I shut it down and now wonder if I need to replace the motor or is there a starter or capacitor for that fan?

The furnace has ran flawlessly, and never given me a problem.

any help is appreciated

thanks Bob

Old 10-24-13, 01:45 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 12 Posts
It is not uncommon for the inducer fan to "stick" when it is started for the first time in the season. You can inspect the inducer fan to make sure there is not a build up of dust or other debris in there. Sometimes moisture sits in the inducer and causes some rust and hence the start-up issue. Just keep an eye on it and if it continues to start-up without issue you should be alright.

Old 10-24-13, 03:45 PM
R
Thanks for the reply.....I did notice it has a sealed bearing so lube is out of the question.

When you say check for dust or debris, I assume I need to pull the whole unit out with the plastic housing ?

Also, if the motor were to overheat from not starting it should trip a safety and shut down. Is this right? My wife is worried that while we are @ work something will happen.

thanks again

Old 10-24-13, 03:55 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 12 Posts
I would make sure the inducer starts up properly each and every time without any issue before leaving it running while away from home. If it did it hesitate only one time for the first start-up of the season that is one thing but if it did it a second time I would be concerned.

You should be able to just look into the fan blade to see if there is anything binding the motor. If it starts up without hesitation it should be good to go.

Yes, most motors have sealed bearings.

Old 10-24-13, 04:01 PM
R
Smile

Actually I started the furnace a week ago for an hour with no problems....this is actually the second time it has been started....I will keep an eye on it.

If it happens again I will start shopping for a new motor.

thanks again for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: