Carrier 58MXA060-12 (propane) inducer motor not running

Old 10-24-13, 05:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier 58MXA060-12 (propane) inducer motor not running

Hi everyone, new here from Va.
Since the weather dropped here we turned on the heat a few days ago. I noticed that there was nothing coming out of the vent outside which my dog usually attacks.
I went down tonight and noticed the inducer fan was not running or even trying to run (no humming and it spins freely) but everything else is working as designed. The LED code light is solid and and stays solid.
The only things I have done was shut down power to the system and reseated some connections that had blower marked on the PCB and also reseated the power connection.
We decided to keep the system off until this can get resolved.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have read posts on here about this same system but most if not all have some sort of error code associated with their issues. Mine unfortunately does not unless I'm missing something. Thanks

Last edited by Blue-r; 10-24-13 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,101 Upvotes on 3,683 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If your furnace is running and producing heat and the draft inducer is not running then the control board may be at fault.

Since a homeowner could deliberately bypass the pressure switch to get the furnace to work the newer modules would go into fault if the pressure switch was closed before the inducer started.
There would be two fault codes:1) pressure switch closed before inducer was powered and 2) switch doesn't close when blower is powered up.
In looking at the fault codes for your unit there is no code listed for scenario 1.

I'm wondering if the pressure switch had been bypassed in the past and the fan has just failed.

Old 10-24-13, 06:51 PM
B
Thanks for the info PJMax. Im guessing that if it was bypassed then there was another issue? Not sure why it would be bypassed but can look that up. As for the fan, I guess I could replace that myself or claim under my homeowners warranty if we still have that, need to ask the boss. Should the board also be replaced at the same time? Looks like it may be around $500 if I did it myself and changed out the entire inducer assembly, cheaper if I just did the motor.
Hate to spend the money on a new system.

Old 10-24-13, 06:54 PM
B
Is it easy to tell if it was bypassed?

Old 11-01-13, 07:03 AM
B
Update: I learned about my system, it's seems to be a 2 stage and the heat pump was being used as the first stage and that's why the inducer motor wasn't running. Once the temp outside was low enough the furnace took over and the inducer worked properly....thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: