Tempstar 5000 not igniting propane

Old 10-27-13, 12:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tempstar 5000 not igniting propane

When the heat relay picks I hear a fan running inside the furnace (not the main blower) like I always have, but I never hear the gas ignite and the fan continues to run.
I assume the igniter is not firing, or the gas is not flowing?

I have attached some pics of the inside for reference. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-13, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Verify the pressure switch (last pic, upper left corner) is closing by checking for 24 volts AC across the 2 terminals. This must be done shortly after the exhaust blower starts.

Old 10-27-13, 03:03 PM
C
Thanks Grady. I will check it out. In the meant ime, I will add that I noticed a big gaping rust hole in the exhaust chimney as well. Obviously I need to fix it, but could that be causing the issue?

Old 10-27-13, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
NOT GOOD. I see the vent is all done in single walled vent pipe. I would strongly suggest when you fix it to run the entire length in double wall (Type B) vent.

From the looks of things, it would be a good idea to get a local pro in to give the furnace a good going over. With that much rust on the vent, there could be serious issues with the heat exchanger.

Old 10-27-13, 03:57 PM
C
ok. I went back down into the crawl space and checked it. I got 25v at the pressure switch.

I did not feel any air pressure coming out of the holes in the exhaust vent where the hole is, so I suspect there is some blockage in there.

Crap. I cannot afford to have this fixed this year. Looks like we will be heating with kerosene and electric heaters this year!

Old 10-27-13, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How did you check the pressure switch? Each side to ground could give you voltage. Across the two terminals should read zero.

B-vent is more expensive than ordinary single wall but it's not crazy expensive. A few simple checks might be able to get the furnace running.

Old 10-27-13, 04:24 PM
C
I checked from one terminal to the other and got 25v.

Old 10-27-13, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That tell me the pressure switch is not closing.

With the power turned off, remove the hose from the bottom of the venter & suck slightly on it. If you hear a click from the pressure switch, the switch is probably ok. You can test for closure by using your meter in the continuity (beeper or buzzer) mode. Disconnect the wires from the switch & attach a probe to each terminal. If when you draw on the hose, you get continuity, the switch is closing.

Old 10-27-13, 05:09 PM
C
I will check it tomorrow. Does it not matter that I was not feeling any draft from the rust holes in the exhaust while the blower motor was running? I feel like I should have been feeling a significant amount of air moving there while that squirrel cage fan was blowing.

Old 10-27-13, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too would expect you to feel air. The heat exchanger could be plugged but lets cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you prove the switch is closing, take a small wire or drill bit & go up thru the nipple on the blower where the hose was attached. Often rust will clog the hole. If the switch will then close with the hose attached, we've solved that problem & the heat exchanger is not plugged.

Old 10-27-13, 06:32 PM
C
When you say "remove the hose from the bottom of the venter & suck slightly on it" do you mean I should remove it from here:

or here (sorry, best pic I got. I am referring to wherever it disappears to down here):

I would think you mean to remove the hose from down below and apply suction to actuate the switch located above (the one you had me check the voltage on before).

Old 10-27-13, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the venter itself as in the bottom picture. If you move that green/yellow (ground) wire, you should see where the hose plugs on to the venter. For the sole purpose of checking the funcitonallity of the switch, you could pull the hose off the switch but you'd have to have a hose to put on there to draw on.

Old 10-31-13, 01:26 PM
C
Grady, I haven't made it back into the crawl space yet to check that solenoid valve. I did have an HVAC installer from lowes come out and do a quote for me. I think he is trying to make his retirement all in one sale. Tell me what you think of this quote.

Old 10-31-13, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds a bit high but I don't know what the labor rates are in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: