1st time homeowner... Question gas/oil

Old 10-30-13, 06:11 AM
1st time homeowner... Question gas/oil

Looking to buy a house in the NY, Long Island. The house is using oil currently.

We would love to have gas, but we are not near a gas line and it is over $30,000 to have a line ran and convert to gas.

Is it worth it to buy the house, and replace the existing (old) oil furnace with a brand new 2012-2013 model oil furnace?

Will this be as cost efficient as gas, cleaner air, etc?

I do not want to spend a ton of money on utility heating costs, which is why if I update the entire system it may be comparable to gas in terms of cost. But I do not know anything about this, so posting here for advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-13, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you really want gas why not go with propane? They can just set a tank outside or even go with an under ground tank.

Old 10-30-13, 06:42 AM
Sounds like it can be a pain in the but. We would have oil for heating, and propane for cooking?

Sounds like it would be as expensive as oil, and we still would require propane deliveries etc.

Old 10-30-13, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm missing your point.
Propane can be used for cooking, heating, gas grills even your dryer can be gas if you want it to be.
How would a truck once a month showing up and spending 15 min. to refill the tank be a bother?
There just going to mail you a bill.
He's going to have a 100 ft. hose on the truck.
I've used nothing but propane for the last 40 years in at least 6 different homes and never had any issues except once when a thermocouple went bad. It took 1/2 hour to fix it.
No soot, no smoke out the stack, no smell.

Old 10-30-13, 07:02 AM
Ah, I did not realize propane could replace the oil burner, and burner.

Let me try and google some additional information on using propane as a heating source vs gas, vs oil.

Any additional info is most appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-30-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
My house, water and stove are all propane. I have a large tank that stores over a year's worth of fuel. I have the tank filled once a year and pick the time depending on prices. Having it filled during the summer months generally saves me several hundred dollars versus doing it in winter.

Check various prices from many propane distributors as it's price is unregulated and there can be a lot of variation. Also check to see if they have different pricing based on whether or not you own or lease your tank. Leasing saves you the money of buying the tank but generally you pay more per gallon and are tied to using that one supplier. If you own the tank the fuel is often cheaper and you can have whoever you want fill the tank.