New Oil tank - old oil?

Old 11-02-13, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Oil tank - old oil?

Was told it's time to replace my oil tank (above ground - in lean-to next to house). The oil company gave me a quote - and said they would take away the old oil, give me credit- and put new oil in the tank. Their logic was they do not want to contaminate the old tank. Also received a quote from a tank installer (they don't deal in oil at all). They will transfer the oil from the old tank from the new - say thaey do that all the time.

Do I really need to worry about contaminating the new tank by pumping the old oil into it? The oil company argument does not seem right to me.

Going with a roth tank.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-13, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
If the oil company is giving you a credit for the old oil why wouldn't you take them up on that offer?
It is in both your interests to ensure you do not contaminate the new tank as you will surely be calling them if you have an oil related problem.

Old 11-02-13, 09:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That old oil is going to have a layer of slime and water in the tank. It's a no brainer, get rid of the old oil.
What would sound wrong about them getting rid of it for free and giving you money for it?

Old 11-02-13, 10:33 AM
Sorry - guess I did not give enough info. Yes - oil company will give me credit and then fill the tank at new higher price (credit given at purchased price). Oil company is about $900 more expensive than the tank installer price for the same tank and labor. tank installer does not seem to think there would be a problem transferring the oil. Part I don't understand - if I did not get a new tank - that oil is going into my furnace anyway - so why not into a new tank?
Tank is not leaking - just rust spots.

Old 11-02-13, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
The oil that is going into your furnace right now is not being taken from the very bottom of the tank.

The space between the outlet and the bottom will be full of solids, sludge and likely water.
If the tank installer were to slowly draw down the tank through the existing outlet, run the old oil through a filter and not use the bottom several inches of oil it likely would be ok.
You would have noting but problems if he used a pump stuck into the top of the tank or otherwise agitated the oil when it was removed.

Old 11-02-13, 12:36 PM
Thanks Greg
I'll have to question him about his. appreciate the help!