Holes in the heat exchange...

Old 11-02-13, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Holes in the heat exchange...

Just how serious is this?

The weatherization folks came around and with a cam found holes in the heat exchange. They estimate the Janitrol was installed in the late 60's.

Last Feb, my gas bill was over $130 while keeping the heat on the second floor of a tri-level at 60 degrees in a relatively mild winter.

In the lower level, it was warm enough to not worry about pipes bursting.

I'm believing that I'm one of the horror stories of home heating now....

How much could I potentially save with an updated heating system?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-13, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Replace the furnace.

The combustion gasses need to remain inside the heat exchanger, while the room air circulates on the outside of the heat exchanger. If there are holes, you can get the combustion gasses mixing in with the room air.

In addition to that, the furnace fan can blow air onto the burners through the holes, and interfere with proper fgas combustion, which can produce carbon monoxide which can then be circulated into the room air of the dwelling.

Old 11-02-13, 07:04 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
If you go high efficiency, you'll save 20-30%; if not, 10-20%.

You pretty much have to change the furnace at this point.

Edit: 60 degrees? Is this place unoccupied or do you like it cold?

Old 12-01-13, 12:09 AM
Hey SeattlePioneer,

Of course I want to replace the furnace. I'm actually well qualified to have the LIHEAP program do it, but because of the shutdown and very understandable concerns for the future of.... well.... everything... they didn't replace it for me. (Not saying they won't install an energy efficient furnace, but for right now there's no money for those things).

Thanks for the CO2 warning though.

They tested for CO2 and it was at acceptable levels. I have a CO2 monitor near the furnace and it's never gone off yet.

Old 12-01-13, 12:15 AM
Hey Muggle,

Yep... I know the savings I'll have and I know this old beater needs to be replaced.

As soon as I get a better job or the weatherization crew has more funding, that will be fixed.

Hehe.... The place is neither unoccupied, nor do I like it cold. When I had an apartment with heat included, I had that thermostat up at 80 degrees. I make just a tick north of minimum wage at the moment. Last February I had the heat at 64 degrees (on the top floor of a tri-level with a dirt crawl). I only made $300 net that month, and my gas/electric bill was $190.